Greening the Desert by futurist Isaac Arthur

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Eclipse, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

Hi all,
    when climate change and other environmental doom and gloom get me down, I go to futurist Isaac Arthur's youtube channel for a quick pick me up. This next episode was about "Greening the desert" and I just had to share. Warning: it contains some traditional desert-greening strategies, but also goes way futurist at some parts. Mind blowing stuff!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Nice! While some/many of the options Issac outlines might be do-able, I'm not seeing the recognition of our plight and resulting willpower to begin pursuing the methods he proposes within the general population nor in our "leadership". If we could globally re-allocate our "defense" funding to beginning work on such projects, I would be much more optimistic for our collective but unspoken goal of eternal growth and expansion.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

I'm not sure that we have a goal of eternal growth and expansion: even Isaac Arthur fully acknowledges that the Earth can only contain so much heat from so much economic and human activity. This is his video on Arcologies which is essential viewing to understand the follow up Eucemonopolises video, where the heat problem is explored.
    Arcologies

Ecumenopolises

How would we feed all these people? He discusses that in Arcologies, but now George Monbiot is taking e-food seriously, anything is possible!

9anda1f likes this.