Gold Coast City Council Organic Harvest Festival

Discussion in 'General chat' started by briansworms, Nov 14, 2011.

1. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

On Sunday Nov 20th from 10 am till 1 pm the very first Organic Harvest Festival is being held at Evandale Council Parklands on Bundall Rd Bundall. I will be there selling my composting worms and doing a talk on Worm Farming from 11 am to 11.25 am.
    Come along and support this worthwhile activity.

Somebody from PRI are doing talks on Permacukture.

2. briansworms

Just a reminder this is on tomorrow.

3. briansworms

The Organic Harvest Festival was a great sucess. Plenty of people interested and my only regret was I didn't have enough composting worms. Only so much room in the car so next year I will get a ute from somewhere and load up with my worm farms. Thumbs up from me.

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Well, there you go. Congrats. Will every household in the future have worms? What are your plans for world domination?

5. briansworms

Every household should have worms, 1000 per each member of the house. I won't live long enough to dominate the world, well not at the rate I am going. LOL

6. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Should local wastewater treatment also employ 1000 worms per person? When you supply all of those worms, will you remember the little people?

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Maybe Brian IS the Messiah after all?!

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

He turns water into poo.

9. briansworms

I love the way you are thinking. I will always be one of the little people no matter how rich the worms make me lol. You guys crack me up. Now the best way for me to get rich is tell the World ( well Australia anyway ) Brian has Worms ( for sale ).

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

After doing my exhaustive worm research, I saw some providers come and go (through posts spread about).

Just keep your prices decent, stay passionate, expand your worm-based knowledge and let your website reflect that. About the best you can do. Posting here, amongst other sites, will help your SEO, no doubt. Look at Paul Wheaton for someone who knows how it works.

11. briansworms

I don't like to rip people off as I feel it will come back to bite you. Had a chap at the markets like the other lady the other week wanting to add to their Can of Worms farm by buying more worms but I said no you just need more manure. Hmmm $20 worms or $2 manure. I sold the manure. I am trying to learn more each day and update my site as I go. Now what is SEO and who is Paul Wheaten? I am going to stop going to the market I have been going to as I think I have sold all I can there. I will invest that money I payed in site rental to advertising in local papers and further a field when I can. Just need to keep it managable and still a hobby that way I can still enjoy it.Thanks for your interesting replies.

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

SEO = Search Engine Optimisation. The larger the site, the more popular and more linked to, that has links to your site increases your page rank, or thereabouts. It's why you see some blog comments with links to random websites.

Google bombing is where users of a very popular site, for example, will start to mention a very specific phrase over and over which then becomes the #1 hit in Google.

Paul Wheaton, a popular permaculturalist, will spread his links over several large sites (and helpers), not only to get his message out there, but to make that particular topic push his page to the top of search results. It's an ancillary benefit and helps spread his topics across a wider base of internet users.

Problem is, some people get focussed on SEO and spread themselves too thin. In your intro thread, I believe, it was asked that you stay around. Spamming links across the internets is a rampant problem.

That's a basic idea. Some people are employed, or try to employ themselves as SEO Optimisers, particular page design, social website spamming are all tools to increase pagerank. I'm sure Google (and other search engines) employ a team of people working against it.

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You might want to look into getting a spot at the annual QLD Garden Expo here in Nambour each July. It's HUGE. There's a large area called the Giant Kitchen Garden that is permie heaven. I have seen worm farms for sale, but I can't recall seeing worms for sale. If you came and did a talk about worm farming (or 2 or 3) and handed out a nice brochure with your website details and had some stuff for sale - I reckon you'd do OK.

And I'd pop by with a coffee and a donut for you and have a chat.

14. briansworms

Thank you both for your feedback. Everthing is still small time yet but would be nice to get it up to still hobby stage but just a bit of extra income as we are only on one wage. I couldn't fit enough stock in the car to go to Nambour. I hand out little flyers at the markets. 4 to an A4 page and cut them up. I have attached one.

Attached Files:

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Nice!

Go on - hire a ute for the weekend and come to the garden expo... I'll make it two donuts....

16. briansworms

Mate I dont drive that far on holidays but two donuts is tempting. Lol