Gaia University and Permaculture Design 2010

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by jasonJ, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jasonJ

jasonJ Junior Member

Permaculture Design Course

There are two parts to the course: a 3-day intro, and the continuing 8 days of the design course. Both are described on this page.

3-Day Intro to Permaculture
    When: August 12- 14, 2010

This introduction, sponsored by the Financial Permaculture Institute and Design Recouse, lays the foundation for the full 72-hour design course, with introductions to ethics, principles, and tools for combining old country know how, natural patterns, and conscious design. Permaculture is a design science that takes a whole-ecosystem approach to sustainable development. The term, “Permaculture”, means “permanent agriculture” and “permanent culture”. Permaculture developed in Australia in the late 1970’s, by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, and has since spread throughout the world. Leaders of the sustainability movement are applying Permaculture principles and design methodologies to everything from gardens, home sites, village designs, businesses, and entire regional economies. Includes classes on creating healthy soils, and garden design. Check out the tentative schedule for more topics. Instructors include, Matthew English, Kevin Guenther, Cliff Davis and guests!

When: August 12-14 2010
    Price: $200 with early registration, $250 after July 23 2010
    Registration: Register online at www.financialpermaculture.com (coming on June 25)
    Contact: For questions contact [email protected] or 888-878-2434 ext.2

Permaculture Design Course
    When: August 12- 24 2010 with Sundays off

Full Permaculture Design Course continues from the 3-day intro to the full 72 hour certification course. Permaculture is a design science that takes a whole-ecosystem approach to sustainable development. The term, “Permaculture”, means “permanent agriculture” and “permanent culture”. Permaculture developed in Australia in the late 1970’s, by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, and has since spread throughout the world. Leaders of the sustainability movement are applying Permaculture principles and design methodologies to everything from gardens, home sites, village designs, businesses, and entire regional economies. Class participants will learn to use a unique tool that incorporates natural design systems into problem solving on multiple levels. This 72 hour course is vigorous and in depth. Students who complete all segments of the course and individual project assignments will receive an internationally recognized Permaculture Design Certificate. See tentative schedule for topics. Includes class lectures, interactive class participation, design exercises, field trips, and dynamic learning opportunities. Instructors include Matthew English, Kevin Guenther, Cliff Davis, and guests.

When: August 12- 24 2010 with Sundays off
    Price: $700 with early registration, $800 after July 23 2010
    Contact: For questions contact [email protected] or 888-878-2434 ext.2

Gaia Southeast is now accepting applicants for September 2010!

Take your action learning and sustainable living to a new level by joining us September 5-15 for the Gaia University start of year immersion.

Your year in Gaia Southeast will begin and end with a residential intensive at our regional venue in Tennessee. During the first intensive workshop, you will go through an orientation where you become familiar with the Gaia University system and clarify your project and learning goals for the year. The purpose of the initial orientation is to introduce you to the tools and processes you will be using throughout your enrollment and to help you clarify your goals for the coming year. During this period, you will meet your peer guild and Main Advisor, be introduced to the Gaia University framework and philosophy and be trained in action-learning methodology. You will also begin training in the use of our e-learning environment! We’d be happy to talk to you about our enrollment process.

Event: Gaia Southeast Orientation

Led by: Jennifer English, Greg Landua and guests

Dates: September 5-15, 2010

Where: The Farm Community, Summertown Tennessee

Contact: Feel free to give us a call at 888-878-2434 x 1. or visit us at Gaia Southeast

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Can you post some pictures of the course in action when it gets going please?

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I think purple pear is too cheap - they are big prices but good luck with it guys

4. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Well, well, ………. so the second time this year the “Gaia” concept has been used to try and dupe the unwary!!

I suppose that you are aware that the independent climate scientist, James Lovelock, is largely responsible for our current understanding of the Gaia hypothesis??

“Lovelock is an interdisciplinary scientist and he challenges the orthodoxy that the physical earth - the rocks, the oceans and the atmosphere - evolved by purely physical and chemical principles, with life then evolving as icing on the cake, having to cope with whatever the planet threw up in the form of ice ages, meteorite strikes and huge volcanic eruptions, but never itself being a player in the geological drama.

That this was wrong became clear to Lovelock in the 1960s, when he was working for Nasa's project to determine whether there is life on Mars. He realised that sampling Mars's atmosphere would show life's presence or absence. The atmosphere on earth may seem to us like the most natural thing, but its composition - 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen - is very odd. These gases were generated, and are maintained at an equable level for life's processes, by living organisms themselves; if the biosphere died, oxygen and nitrogen would disappear with it, leaving a greenhouse atmosphere similar to that of Mars and Venus (around 95% carbon dioxide and hundreds of degrees hot). The Gaia theory proposes that the atmosphere, oceans, rocks, soil and all living things constitute a self-regulating system that maintains favourable conditions for life - but not necessarily the life that is comfortable for human beings.

One of Lovelock's most beautiful pieces of hard science - which tipped the balance in favour of Gaia - is his discovery of a great cycle in which algae in the oceans produce volatile sulphur compounds that act as seeds to form the oceanic clouds. Without these dimethyl sulphide "seeds", the cooling oceanic clouds would be lost.

Lovelock is not a doom-monger but a practical problem-solving man, with suggestions for alleviating the climate crisis at many levels.”

Earlier in the year Richard Branson attempted to name his BIO-AVIATION Fuel Gaia-fuel, which incensed Lovelock. After a brief exchange of views, Branson, who must be a man of at least some integrity, issued a full apology and withdrew the Gaia name.

WOW ……… what a fool I hear you shout!!! Just think how many lovely green dollars he could have made duping the public into thinking they were flying by Gaia!!

I suppose Bill Mollison was a far better judge of character when it came to realising just how far people will stoop to earn a dollar. I could never understand why he patented the name “Permaculture” but now all is clear and my esteem of Bill has risen a million-fold.

To bad JasonJ, not much chance of “Permaculture University” then?

I suppose I should ask by what right you call yourself a University? Qualified board of Governers; Independent qualified external examiners to maintain standards etc.,? or is it just a case of complying to fire regulations with a couple of mates and a brother who knows a thing or to about designing flashy diploma’s with photoshop?

I took the time to watch your video but had to stop at least once because of the need to vomit!. You even have to start by mentioning GOD, ……… I believe Ronald Reagan used the same technique.

Gaia has, of course been evoked at various other points in history, Adolph Hitler (although lacking James Lovelocks credentials) was also allegedly a fan of the blue eyed, blond haired …. original version which predates Lovelock by several thousand years.

I noted that the orchestrated chanting at the end of your seminars failed to reach the levels noted at the infamous Nuremberg Rallies, but I’m sure you’ll get there!

I noticed the bankers listening with interest, or were they just weighing-up the repossession value of their potential clients? Is the incubation period no more than the time it takes you to retrieve your constancy fee, the inflated prices for the gullible to purchase the “essential bits”, and the repossession men to arrive seizing cars, houses, lives?

It seems to have escaped your notice that the Free-Market has just lost trillions of dollars and they’re not too fussy about how they get it back!

I hope ecodharmamark wont mind me mentioning that its only a matter of days since his report on a “big bank” dumping an eco-village on the eve of its construction ………… still, I don’t suppose anyone lost any sleep there?

If you ever get around to reading any of Lovelocks books you will start to understand what Gaia means to the current world, the futility of what you’re proposing, and the inherent dangers you’re promoting.

Perhaps I can leave a final quote from an interview with Lovelock, ……… because if I say what I really think about you’re whole operation it will undoubtedly be removed from the forum!!!!

“The tropical and subtropical zones of the Earth will be too hot and dry to grow food or support human life. People will be forced to migrate towards the poles to places like Canada. There will be less than one billion people by the end of the century. My hope is that we will stay civilised and those in the North will give refuge to the unimaginably large numbers of climate refugees.”

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Crikey.

As an aside, the word 'permaculture' hasn't been copyrighted/patented.

6. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Pebble

7. jasonJ

jasonJ Junior Member

We will be doing flash documenation during the course on https://www.financialpermaculture.org/ where we will post pictures and notes daily.

8. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Well JasonJ ……..

Having recently checked-out your latest web-site (blog?) postings, you don’t appear to have actually achieved anything.

Perhaps my concerns regarding the hollow shell of Permaculture you were proscribing, devoid of ethics and integrity where quite unfounded. If this is indeed the case, I can only hope that all those who truly adhere to the core principals of Permaculture will overlook my indiscretion.

Your intention to build a large ethanol production system, accompanied by a multiple of smaller domestic ethanol production systems using Permaculture principals remains something of an issue that cannot be overlooked. You obviously never took the time to read George Monbiol’s article (PRI June 2, 2010) concerning the use of Permaculture principles originally intended to produce the sort of abundance needed to feed the hungry, to actually produce ethanol. To perpetuate global warming and hence hasten the deaths of billions of human beings must, and here I agree with George Monbiot, constitute a Crime Against Humanity.

So Michaelangelica, was it really you who posed the question “is planet Earth better off without us?

9. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Peter, I know that the claim has been made in the past, but afaik the word permaculture is not copyrighted. I did some research on this last year when we were having a particularly heated debate (in a thread that was removed but has reappeared with the shift to the new forum - search by swindle +copyright).

I'll see if I can find my notes, but off the top of my head: you can only copyright a body of work, not an individual word. So the contents of the manual are automatically copyrighted to Bill Mollison under Australian law (it's not something he has to make happen), but the word permaculture isn't.

You can trademark phrases (not sure about individual words that already exist in the public domain). If you look up the database at https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au you'll see if permaculture is trademarked. When I looked last year it wasn't, but there was an application in to trademark the manuals (I'm going off memory here, don't have time to look right now). I take that to mean that people won't be able to use the manuals to train with unless they have permission from the Mollisons.

Actually I've just looked it up. Go to https://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/falcon.application_start and use the guest access and search for 'permaculture'. It's quite instructive.

10. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Pebble

Many thanks for all the research, however, this is becoming a bit of a side issue that is clouding the real concerns regarding the unethical use of permaculture to make money for individuals whilst inflicting major harm upon its core ethical principles.

I know that the use of some words, like “Microsoft” are not permitted in law by other suppliers, so are we dealing with a Trade Mark, or can I really set-up the “Microsoft University” tomorrow and make a bundle of money ripping people off?

Here in the South of France it’s now 2:50 AM so my head is probably not quite together, so perhaps we can touch-base tomorrow?

This is obviously a very important issue within the current economic climate so would it be better contained within its own thread?

Again, many thanks,

Peter

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I have trademarked 'portmanteau' words and English phrases in Australia.
    some even trademark a color used in advertising, or the type of typeface/script used.

Trademarking it only half the battle . You have to be prepared to fight and protect the name legally.
    This can land you in court with a $2,000 a day barrister.
    Many big firms and deep pocketed multi-nationals can therefore bully firms with less resources with the mere threat of legal action

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    But they will be context specific won't they?

The reason we can't use microsoft is because it's the name of a business and it's trademarked as such. I guess if the Mollisons had named a business 'permaculture' they could have trademarked the name. I don't know the Mollisons and have never talked with them. I'm assuming that they thought they were covered by copyright, and by the time they found out they weren't it was too late because the word permaculture was in the public domain.

Peter, it may be beside the point, but if you can get this thing wrong because of assumptions, isn't it possible you might also with regards to the Gaia University? ;-)

The FPI ethics look pretty interesting to me. As far as I can tell, they're applying permaculture principles and design to economics. Is that a problem? Their website is a bit light on who they are, and who the trainers did their PDCs with, but I'm sure if you emailed them (or asked them nicely) they'd tell you. Or you could google them. The PDC is being held at The Farm, who are no slouches when it comes to changing consciousness and living right.

You are coming pretty hard out at these people, but I wonder if engaging them in conversation first might be a better approach.

I think there are past threads on financial permaculture.

13. grog

grog Junior Member

Peter,

Your flaming is entertaining.
    I can assure you from my own experience that the folks involved with Gaia University know full well the Gaia Hypothesis and do not undertake the name lightly.
    The organization is not about making profit from a sexy name, but about creating opportunities to up-skill our species to become the keystone species in the global ecology that we need to be.

As for your flippant comments about the video, I was proud to be at the 2008 FPC which was captured on film, and equally proud to have sat next to conservative Christians form the South of the US as light bulbs went off in their heads and permaculture became a vibrant idea, ethical orientation and behavior shifting meme. Regenerating the world is not about tearing it apart.

If I am not mistaken this section of the forum is for posting events. I am not sure why you don't have something better to do with your intelligence than rip down other people's event postings, but I feel sure that now one here is trying to get rich off of anything.

Please go dig a swale or organize your own course before ripping down other peoples hard work.

14. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi grog

I was pleased to note that you found my “flaming is entertaining”. So what’s the big beef? No sense of humour at the pseudo-Gaia University?

Actually, I believe you have no idea what Gaia means, but at least you now have a paragraph, …… perhaps time to put the prices up?

So, ……. families growing their own chemical free food, farmers markets; all the sorts of things that have been going on for hundreds, possibly thousands of years. It’s only within recent time that we get to chemicals and supermarkets. Big problem there, if we turn the clock back, even marginally, how are your chums in the banking sector going to make any money? ……… ok, lets leave repossessions aside for the moment.

The centre-piece of your showcase is obviously the production of methanol from permaculture techniques rather than food. Wow, could you see the shine on those bankers/politicians eyes. Ok, so prices will rise (oops, I think I meant to say profits!), however, people will pay anything to keep those gas-guzzlers on the highway, ……. I suppose it’s a status thing?

To bad about those two recent articles linking bio-ethanol to crimes against humanity, but hey … did anyone actually read them? ……… although the cartoon with the obese “westerner” filling his four-wheel-drive car with bio-ethanol whilst a Third world mothers child died of starvation in her arms may stick a little? Perhaps you could get a campaign going to stop this sort of thing because it may upset the more sensitive souls amongst the forum?

The fact that ethanol can, and will be continue to be produced, as an alternative to food is not really the issue. THE FACT THAT YOU ARE PROPOSING TO USE PERMACULTURE TECHNIQUES TO PRODUCE ETHANOL IS!!!!

(Sorry about the capitalisation, however, there seems to be some difficulty in gaining your comprehension).

My initial thought was to write to or visit James Lovelock and let him know that his previous successes in preventing Richard Branson from marketing Bio-Fuels as “Gaia” had been superseded by a group in Tennessee who appeared to have an equal miss-understanding as to what Gaia actually means.

Whilst Lovelock is neither a wealthy man (unlike Branson), or a particularly vindictive one, I know that he feels passionately on this issue. However, he does have something of an unequalled reputation for honesty and integrity, and people will listen.

Friends within the various French Permaculture groups have advised me most strongly that to involve Lovelock in resolving this issue, when the PRI has already come down very strongly on the side of “a crime against humanity”, risks undermining and perhaps permanently damaging the image of Permaculture in the eyes of the world.

Equally, to remove the ETHICS of Earth Care; People Care; Fair Share; from the core of permaculture, as you appear to have done, and replace them with computers, programs and a three year business plan, is, at least in my opinion, to remove the heart and soul from Permaculture.

That being the case, what lacks a heart and soul will wither and die.

I wait patiently, but not indefinitely.

15. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Can you please post a link to this Peter?

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Ok, it's not the Gaia University, it's the Financial Permaculture website that is talking about ethanol

https://www.financialpermaculture.com/cms/content/documentary-of-2008-summit

Basically it's a community in the US that is looking at being self-sustaining, including in energy so is looking at local ethanol production (amongst a large bumber of things). What's wrong with that specifically?

And the financial permaculture bit seems to be about keeping the finances within a contained loop, locally (as much as possible). Again, what specifically is wrong with that?

17. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Pebble

PERMACULTURE: Earth Care; People Care; Fair Share.

We all know what it means and I believe that everyone on this forum believes it’s possible.

We can heal the earth and its many people, live beyond abundance in a responsible and sustainable way in peace and harmony. A sort of Gaia thing?

FINANCIAL PERMACULTURE. So what’s that?

Making money from permaculture. Nothing wrong with making money, we all need at least some of it, however, I suppose it depends on what you do?

If you can make money being a plumber, electrician, etc., why not permaculture? The question has been raised on this forum many times. For many people the only option is teaching others about permaculture and concerns have been expressed about market saturation, etc., etc.,

However, permaculture lends itself nicely to the idea of building a garden of abundance. So if you have a garden, perhaps just your backyard, you can grow your own food, hopefully meet most of your needs and not need so much money. Of course, if you’re a really good permaculturalist, you’ll probably have a surplus of the sort of things people want to buy ……. clean, healthy, chemical free food. So now you have some extra money.

Of course you may not have a garden or access to any land. However, lots of other people have gardens; every community generally has a garden or some land; every school, hospital, etc, etc, has land or a garden.

Do you think a dedicated permaculturalist could sell the idea of permaculture gardens to their community and make some money? After all, if people will pay the plumber, electrician, or even the traditional gardeners to cut their lawns and tend their flowerbeds ……. what about walking into their own garden of abundance, changing their lifestyles, being happy and healthy?

What about schools and hospitals developing their own permacultures and feeding the kids real food, …….. who knows, everyone may find it therapeutic and the kids might even learn a thing or two. After a couple of years the permaculture would become self sustaining, costs would fall to zero, except for your fee which I’m sure would be modest when compared to what is currently being spent on chemical food.

Ok, so you’re never going to be Bill Gates but would you necessarily want to be?

OK, …. big project, difficult to sell, ……. but is it? It’s amazing how many times these possibilities feature on the forum, in all countries around the world.

This Pebbles, is what I believe permaculture is all about.

But there are other ways of making money out of permaculture, BIG money. But, …. somehow those key ethical principles of Earth Care; People Care; Fair Share, just keep getting in the way!

These issues have been quite sharply brought into focus by the group in Tennessee.

Why?

One word Pebbles, BIOFUELS.

Permaculture has the power to Green the deserts, restore broken ecosystems, produce food in abundance, and all, …. at least according to Geof Lawton, at break-neck speed.

OR

It can produce massive amounts of BIOFUEL to help replace dwindling resources of fossil fuels. The effects on the environment will be catastrophic, REMOVE EARTHCARE; the effects on the most vulnerable peoples of the earth will be close to genocide, REMOVE PEOPLE CARE; as for the wealth created, REMOVE FAIR SHARE.

Since the 1970’s, multinationals, the World Bank, IMF, etc., have propped-up military junta’s to provide cheap labour and materials to the affluent West. Millions died of starvation, murder, “disappearances”. Billions have been held in virtual slavery.

But now the coffers are bare. In many parts of the world farmers are taking back their land and democracy is starting to take hold.

But a new threat has arrived, and has already been exposed on the forum. A new means of filling the coffers. BIOFUELS.

These most tragic of nations who looked to a brighter future now have the capacity to provide something the affluent West wants, needs, and must have for its own survival, BIOFUELS.

The multinationals, World Bank, IMF, military junta’s, they haven’t gone away Pebbles, they’re still there, waiting for their moment. And they know exactly what to do, after all, they’ve had years of experience.

On at least one expose on the Forum you will find the details of how they’ve already started.

Its not you Pebbles, it’s not me, it’s not any member of the permaculture forum in particular. However, if one permaculture course can place BIOFUELs as its centrepiece, the idea gains acceptability and the ethical core dies.

This is not Permaculture Pebbles, this is Opportunistic Profiteering from Permaculture.

The forum seems to have entered a “hearts and minds” thing at the moment ……. do the ethics really matter? Because if they do, …

18. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    If you don't know what Financial Permaculture is (and it sounds like you don't, because it's not about making money from permaculture, afaik it's about using permaculture principles and design to transform economics) then please go and do some research.

I'm well aware of the political and historical context of the environment including issues to do with biofuels. However as someone who drives a diesel vehicle I'm watching with curiosity and anticipation the local (LOCAL) development of biofuels (both mainstream and alternative streams). I can't see anything inherently unethical about this. I can't say for sure, but the video I watched looked like they were talking about locally sourced biofuels. What is wrong with that?

I do agree that permaculture has the potential to be co-opted in the way that organics has been (particularly in the US). But I'm not convinced at all that this is what the Financial Permaculture movement is in general, or the website and course in this thread in particular. You're making alot of assertions but not backing them up with anything substantial.

I'd be interested to know how BIG money can be made out of permaculture - specifically.

19. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    https://www.financialpermaculture.org/?page_id=84

20. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    https://www.opendigitalvillage.net/index.php?title=Financial_Permaculture