For Fun - Procrastination

Discussion in 'General chat' started by sun burn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

We've talked about how disorganised we are and how we cope with that. Now i think its time to share our procrastination tactics.

What are some of your favourite methods of procrastination.

Me first:

After coming to the computer and foruming, I have noticed that i have developed a reasonably healthy type of procrastination activity. Sometimes i take a walk out to admire my boundary planting and find myself weeding and fussing over all the plants. This can take as long as an hour and sometimes more.

Another one is to fuss over the chickens and ducks.

Less healthy is to give up, jump in the car and go somewhere for a few hours, spend money and dither.

One i like a lot from someone on my photoblog forum is liiisa's blog. She takes pictures of her life and sets up little scenarios to photograph at her desk and photographs are banalities, often qutie humorisitcally. This is just one example. ...https://www.photoblog.com/Liiisa/20...on-the-axe-wielding-medievalist.html#comments

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Many years ago when I was a young Uni student, the best time to discover the joys of procrastinating was "swot vac" - the week before exams when there are no classes to attend. I lived at a residential all girls college and someone put up a blank poster titled "101 ways to procrastinate" and we all went to filling it up. Many wasted moments spent thinking about what witty thing you could add to the list, reading other peoples entries, writing your own, talking about the list over lunch.... You get the idea. It was the only time in my life when I have had an overwhelming urge to iron my doona cover to absolute perfection!

Now I tend not to think of it as procrastination but as sanity time, or meditation. There is a fine line between putting off something that really MUST be done and making sure that you stop to smell the roses before you prune the thorns.

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Nice story eco.

You know you've got problems with procrastination when you can't even get to the shower. I talk to lots of people with depression who are in that mode. If you are in that mode, it means you've got zillions of things you are procrastinating about.

I have never been a creative procrastinator. I have always just suffered through either being bored shitless and suffering the fear/unwillingness to tackle the hard job, or I've let computer forums take over my life. I am much cured of the later now. And the former as well. Computer forums mean i no longer have to be bored when i can't make myself do any of the things i should be doing.

Sorry i said this was meant to be a fun thread. Now i've just gone on with depressing things.

4. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

I was going to start a Procrastinators Association once - but I never got around to it!! :rofl:

I don't know if I am actually a procrastinator or not, but I do know that if it wasn't for the "Last Minute", I'd never get anything done!

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Having read your post on the being disoroganised thread and how you get things done but never finished, I can see you may not be a typical procrastinator but you are the sort of procrastinator who often puts off finishing things. Now i've diagnosed you as a procrastinator. What say you to that?

6. MFox

MFox Junior Member

That was great! Thanks for posting this link, very funny in the context of procrastination- I can just see her at her desk trying to get out of doing work!

Procrastination? I'll give you procrastination- my fiance and I have become street musicians and play and sing our hearts out on the street every day for our income. He is a teacher usually. We have been doing this all over the world for the past year. Now we are back in Australia and we are still street musicians--- all in the name of procrastinating getting a real job!!

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I don't have time for procrastination... i'm too busy thinking about the stuff i'd like to do, but never really getting around to it ;o)

8. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Being an American, I'll take the 5th on this one.

9. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

My favourite procrastination is to go to the local tip shop and spend time looking over all the bits I could buy to take home for projects that would require considerable procrastination.

10. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

MFOX, the world needs more buskers. Carry on procrastinating getting that real job.

The world needs more artists though i know there's not a lot of money in it.

The cyclone gave me a kick in the pants and now I am out of my recent malaise. Actually, i realised that i have a cycle of energy and laziness so to kick start the energy again, I've just realised that i need to do something to change the routine whenever that starts happening, eg like going away for a few days, or just hanging around for the natural disasters and other such unexpected events.