Finding info on Organic farming

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by britishwhitesrock, Feb 1, 2006.

1. barely run

barely run Junior Member

any ideas on price and availability in Australia??? we dont plan on being back here permanently for another year so on our travels I could check out places with them.
    Cheers
    Cathy

2. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Cathy: There were some British Whites at the Dubbo Cattle Sale (NSW) a fortnight or so ago, and think there are some more up at Inverell for sale, do some googling and you'll come up with the sales

Alternately contact the relevant society and ask for contact details for their breeders

BWR: yes you are probably right, if the fat is dark, people won't buy it, I've been looking at breeding Brangus (Angus x Brahmin cross) because of the heat tolerance and hybrid vigour, but have been told by stock agents they are difficult to sell because the commercial abbatoirs prefer other breeds and other crosses. It would be ok if you were a BW breeder that sold a few head a year as a hobby, but trying to turn off 100 vealers a year (and this is big bucks...$60,000-80,000 a year), and then not having them command the same price at the yards as a straight Angus Hereford cross would make justifying the initial investment pretty hard, wouldn't it?

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

We have cattle family around Emerald and Springsure, The Rolf family has been in Springsure for close to a 100 years now and i'm not sure how long the Christmas family has been farming east of Emerald but it's quite some time, I keep meaning to get out that way as the last time I was there I was a kid.

I hope you have found some good info here, and good luck.

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

"I have no idea why a breed proven this good could be so close to extinction."

Probably due to training of the market. Billions of dollars have been poured into the marketing of cattle, both to the cattlemen and the consumer. Few mega-marketers care about anything but the conversion of feed to salable meat.

Sue