Conservation farm sold to miner

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by matto, Mar 1, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh come on ... don't be a sook ... why not??? : ) ; ) : )

It's gotta be better to wake up every morning & eagerly devour his latest offerings, even if you don't necessarily see eye to eye with them all, than to stare at the same cold old posts that were starting back at you when you went to bed the night before. : ) : )

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hell I've even flicked on the satellite at 3 in the morning when he's in really good form just in case he had an extra burst of brilliance overnight : )

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Nah, to be honest I don't 'get' kp. I think we inhabit different mental spheres or.....something. :/

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

lol ... I think most people inhabit a different mental sphere from kp : )
    And to be honest it sometimes worries me that I dig him so much ... other times I just roll with it : ) : ) : )

It sure is quiet around here when he's away though : (

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

He's like a scalpel blade - so sharp you don't even know you've been slashed until you look down & see the blood : )

Ha! It cheers me up just thinking about him : )
    Some of the stuff he's written he is sheer genius. And he's funny as shit to boot.
    But yeah ... he's not everyones cup of tea, & probably offends most. And I think he'd be happy about that : )

6. mouseinthehouse

Yep, your last line summed it up. lol

I also MUST know where Mark is? Maybe he went and did some sort of activism and got arrested? Maybe he got lost doing research in the interior? Perhaps academia finally pushed him over the edge and he is in a retreat somewhere? Perhaps he is crewing with Sea Shepherd? Or holding a Civil Libertarian Municipalism thingy conference in Ukraine?

I shouldn't joke....hope he is around somewhere and doing ok! :/

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

All of which would be far more preferable to sitting around endlessly clicking the refresh screen button on the permaculture forum : /

Mark! Where the bloody hell are you???

8. Terra

Terra Moderator

Lens probably got him doing something :giggle:

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    psst! activity stream! : ) : )

with love,

smarty pants

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i snipped out what i agreed with. : )

the last part, about being in our own little boxes... well if we are doing permie stuff and connecting with community around us, then we are not in as little of a box as can only be seen by a plot map, we are a web of contacts of various degrees of influence and cooperation. i may not have permie neighbors, but when the time comes the neighbors i do have will probably be cooperative enough to be a local force of consequence (i.e. protective if needed, willing to work land if needed, etc.).

as for the little box here, it has many billions of willing ambassadors willing to wander off as soon as the surrounding area is released from exploitive practices. it's not a little box of hope, it's a vibrant spring that is always ready to be sprung. now, when spring actually does arrive... : )

green spring is not hope it is a promise.

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

You mustn't be familiar with sarcasm. It's the only wit I have.

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Sarcasm does not always translate well into text. :p

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I would like to think he is drinking lots of wine doing research, wine research. :)

Or he built a boat finally and is on his way over.

15. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I think he won't mind me saying that he has moved on from the forum.

16. mouseinthehouse

Not sure I know how to take that :/

17. ramdai

ramdai Junior Member

Permaculture designer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Temperate, zone 7b 40 inches rain -avg inland -500 feet
    Hi Helen,

I have no idea what tomorrow is going to bring, I really don't even know if my efforts will ever move me out of the red and into the green as far as my lifetime contribution

By myself I'll be lucky if i create something that does persist after i'm gone and maybe pay back for the thousands of miles in an automobile that i've already driven and the many more miles i'm still likely to drive

For me the greening the desert video was what turned me around - at least as far as my prognosis that it was a near certainty we had pushed the planet to becoming like venus.

Finding out the amount of carbon being lost from desertification, and the amount that can be sequestered using all sorts of gardening/farming techniques, and simply stopping the deserts in their tracks and reversing that movement back to carbon rich soil has improved my outlook amazingly

Bill has said that we have lost the ice-- at least for a while-- and i tend to agree with that assessment. There's going to be some enormous changes --sea level, population distribution, species coming and going from one area to another as climate changes progress--these are the liklihoods, plain and simple

how bad it gets, for how long is at least partially in our control, but my understanding of effective action is that fighting negatives doesn't work, creating positives, spreading the word, even if it's on a small scale is what is in front of each of us

Or get an idea and follow through to impact millions--everybody has different skill sets, but hiding away gnashing our teeth doesn't help anybody, and it certainly isn't any fun. And my understanding is that if it isn't fun then you're doing it wrong.

Check your diet, sugar can be a prime ingredient for depression, check your activities-- i went to a dance the other night, had a lot of fun and talked about permaculture

exercise, get involved in something positive, volunteer and do something for somebody--there's lots of mood elevators besides drugs

Went to a free lunch at the ashram today and showed the greening the desert video--only one person watched with me, but i'm going to advertise better and show it again.

Recently writing back and forth with a woman on a dating site i turned her on to the greening video and she wrote right back --seems she had a perm cert from a while back, but really wasn't doing much, and that got her going again. she's planning on starting to teach and reach out to the local farmers

This really has to be a focus on what we can do, not on the things we have no control over, and more than anything else we need to be creating beautiful systems, i want to have so much fruit dripping from my trees that people are inspired to learn and change

I can't personally stand in the way of the monsanto juggernaut, but if my whole lifetime boils down to the possibility i stopped one farmer from using roundup and got them focused on the soil food web,, that will be something that maybe takes a little bite out of it's complete domination.

We have lots of wonderful technology, videos, podcasts, great teachers at our fingertips ready to be pointed in the right direction, couple that with a little permaculture garden that people can look at and touch, and eat wonderful food from, and we've got ourselves a party

18. mouseinthehouse

I agree but only to a point. If brave and determined people hadn't actually put their bodies and their voices on the line over history and indeed recent history we would have lost some incredibly important environmental battles which would have caused immense damage to fragile and unique ecosystems. If we become silent; if we do not protest with placard and loud voices and bodies; if we do not write to politicians and newspapers; if we do not engage in social media campaigns; if we do not chain ourselves to bulldozers or sit in vigils in old growth forest...then those who seek to exploit and to control and to pollute and to destroy can go right on ahead. We must be pro-active at confronting these damaging practices and governance and paradigms by both example and education AND direct protest and resistance.

19. ramdai

ramdai Junior Member

Permaculture designer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Temperate, zone 7b 40 inches rain -avg inland -500 feet
    Good point, i guess like everything else in Permaculture --It Depends--

I personally look for guidance and don't usually confront negative situations, but there are exceptions
    I just know that i feel a whole lot better when i'm working hard on something i enjoy that i think will do good -

20. altamira55

altamira55 Junior Member