composting worms

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by schaf, Nov 16, 2014.

1. schaf

schaf Junior Member

Just starting a compost worm farm.
    I have a small batch of worms and a 3 tier plastic farm. The worms were a gift from a
    friend.
    Being pensioners we do not have a lot of veggie scraps, so can I feed them on Searles 5 in 1
    plant food.

Regards
    Schaf

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Go talk to your local green grocer cafe or restaurant and get some scraps.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I haven't fed some of my worms in over a year and they still live. You will have more than enough scraps. You can shred small amounts of paper to bulk up their food.

Also, make sure their bedding has some nutritional value and you will be more than fine. Horse manure is the best.

As for the question, I suppose that will work. So will cow and horse manure.

4. Terra

Terra Moderator

One of our regulars is Brian he has a wealth of info on his worm web site https://briansworms.com/ .

Yep paper cardboard they will process almost anything organic if moisture and variety is there .

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    they love shredded cardboard. use the kinds with as little ink on them as possible like the plain brown/tan colored ones, moisten it a little when adding.

yard/garden trimmings are ok as long as nobody sprays them with poisons. usually during the summer months i harvest and dry some green manure crops around here so that i have green stuff to feed the worms through the winter, packed into a five gallon food bucket.

as long as they have moisture and the right temperature they will be ok, they adjust in size and activity to the amount of nutrients available, but they do not like to be baked or frozen.

some of my worm bins do not get touched for a month or two at a time (depending upon how much Ma cooks for others), they seem to do ok anyways.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Animal manure will keep them going for ages. (Humans are animals too BTW….)

7. schaf

schaf Junior Member

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Schaf