Azolla for chicken feed

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by gardenaholic60, Apr 26, 2014.

1. gardenaholic60

gardenaholic60 Junior Member

I know this has been around for awhile but have not gotten around to trialling before. So is anyone doing this and could say if it is worthwhile doing. Does anyone have some to share, thanks

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

I have a friend in the Riverland (free Azolla everywhere) he has a bathtub on the outside of his chook yard up against the fence with a few convenient head holes for chooks to pick at the Azolla . Dryland area with very little green available so its a nice addition for his chooks .

3. floot

floot Junior Member

hi there,

When I was a kid azolla was a major feature of the murray darling river system and all of its catchments, then along came European carp. Azolla has long been lauded as a permie plant, as it should be, prior to that it was seen as a harmless water filter. We know now a lot of benefits of azolla to we mere permies. I would think that any studies you read as to its 'feed potential' would be laboratory conditions. That does not make it a wunderplant but it certainly makes it worthy of respect and a great addition to any system.

If it aint poisonous and it works for you- then it is a good plant.

cheers,
    PS.. azolla, from my perspective is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay underrated as a 'plant'. It is a food source, just wondering how to put it into an omelette!

mike

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yeah I agree totally with Floot Have been using the stuff for years now ,they love it

Tezza ....... yes its me the "Original"

5. Pia

Pia Junior Member

I know two azolla projects in Cost Rica one is part of the habitat for fish and the other is a food resource for chickens. Both work very nicely and are easy to maintain. I'm planning an azolla project for both fish and chickens.

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Ive noticed when i harvest azolla it generally has lots of water bugs/gambuzia in it the chooks love these!
    I use it in compost to heat things up!!

good to see ya back Tezza!!

7. matto

matto Junior Member

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

9. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Yes, it's worth doing. I had some for a while in a small pond and fed it to the chooks but lost it in a cold winter (still feeding duckweed=Lemna, which is equally useful). Wouldn't mind finding some again and grow it in a large tub in the polytunnel where the water could also serve to even out temperature fluctuations.

10. Pia

Pia Junior Member

awesome.. sorry you lost them to cold.. that's fixable :) keep me apprised on your progress