Aquaponics vs Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by snaggs, Nov 9, 2005.

1. snaggs

snaggs Junior Member

I've been reading feverishly here. Heres a quote from a website that was referenced;

"IMAGINE GARDENING YEAR-ROUND WITH NO WEEDS TO PULL, NO BENDING FOR PLANTING OR HARVESTING, NO WORRIES ABOUT WATERING OR THE WEATHER."

You dont have weeds in Aquaponics?
    What is the water use like? Is it enviromentally friendly if you have a rain-water tank? (i.e. what is the water loss of the system)
    How is it different or better than Hydroponics?
    Are vegies from Aquaponics better quality than those from dirt?
    What is the disadvantage other than capital setup?

It just seems so amazing. Have you seen Joels Cherokee tomatoes?

Daniel.

2. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

ok...
    Weeds, no... Haven't had oneyet.

Water use..? About 1/10th the water used for normal veggie growing, losses only through evaporation and transpiration.

How is it better than hydro? It's organic, no wastes, no chemicals, better plant growth, and you get fish.

Better than dirt? you'd probably have to try some uni's see if they have done sample tests.

Disadvantages? Bugger all.

3. snaggs

snaggs Junior Member

Ok, so other than root vegies you can grow everything?

Daniel.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I think that Aquaponics is a brilliant concept.Andwould recommend it to anyone...

Tezza

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Hey Snaggs you still around ? I hope you got your auto email thing turned on :)

Keep up to date on the switchy thingymadoova...

6. Teza Elise

Teza Elise New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical
    I think in a small scale both aquaponics and hydroponics are a great testing bed for learning vegetation growth and coexistence of plants. The more you struggle the more you appreciate the forest and the living soil. It is like developing a pc system disconnected from the network. There is always something you will realize you need that only the soil/internet will provide you.

I think it is great for people without daily access to land with minimal resources to get hands on experience. I have learned more out of 3-4 growing-beds/tanks in a year than growing things on soil for many years. The later is kind of an automated system that does magic things on its own, the first is a system where you have to program in every detail.

It is also a good place to start things of and plant them later, giving them a head start early in the season. Then you can take water off the fish and fertilize plants that seem to need a boost. Combining it with composting and mushroom growing and all kinds of great things happen.