Any one got a good pesto recipe?

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by eco4560, Dec 20, 2009.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I have plenty of basil just waiting.....

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Already!! bugger, roll on Global Warming. :)

I just make it up as I go. Pine nuts are essential although i have tried it with cheaper almonds and it is just passble.
    Add basil leaves, olive oil, pine nuts, and blend and taste, blend and taste.

I note that Aldi has a nice bottled pesto these days. So much better than the early days of manufactures making bottled pesto with dried basil! Euck!

Some of the nursey basils are terrible- incredibbly clovey- so i have tried a few new varieties this year, including "Magical Michael' (of course) a pretty-flowering variety with tarragon flavoured leaves.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The joys of living in Qld! My seeds came from Eden and the flavour is superb. I've been taking flowers off for weeks and using small amounts in salads, but I now have enough to give it a go. Do I need garlic in it as well?

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Try this one eco...

250g fresh basil
    1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
    2 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper

Wizz 'em all up with a bamix and bang it on the pasta. We also use cashews in lieu of or half and half with the pine nuts...

5. greenfarmers

greenfarmers Junior Member

Hi Eco,

We sometimes add a touch of cayenne or even chilli for variety and maybe some black pepper.

If you want to increase the nutritional value you can also add rocket, spinach, parsley or other greens and even sunflower or pumpkin seeds for more nutrient goodies ... tastes very yummy.

Pesto freezes well too - for pasta sauce etc ...

Enjoy,
    Heidi

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    We used macadamias in place of pine nuts and they were great - we sold them at the Dungog market and only lost 50 cents a jar on the deal but as we were putting barrow loads of basil in the compost it was atleast excess sharing.

7. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Mark , YES macadamias are an xclnt substitute for pine nuts , also pecorino cheese and avocado

8. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I more often than not use sunflower seeds rather than pine nuts because pines nuts are so expensive here.
    I just wizz up up basil in oil add a clove of garlic, alittle parmisan cheese (or dried out 'tasty' cheese) and just mix it to taste.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The pesto was a HUGE success. I got my 14 year old son to stand beside me and communicate for an hour. And we made some great pesto. Some with macadamias, some with pine nuts, some with parmesan and some without. I ran out of olive oil and garlic before we ran out of basil (by then we had about 5 jars tucked in the fridge, and about 6 cup fulls of pesto leaves used up). Pesto and anchovies on pasta for lunch. Yum!

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

pesto

Good news
    You can make pestos with other herbs too. One of my favorites is with wild or cultivated Rocket. a very different taste.
    Try baking some tomatoes (halved) with some basil pesto spread thickly over them.

11. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

We use a little lemon juice mixed in or olive oil over the top when freezing it to keep it from turning brown.

12. PermaPolly

PermaPolly Junior Member

Hasn't it been a good year for basil! I tried out a pretty weird sounding pesto at Christmas and it was delicious. However, it didn't call for (nor need, I feel) a huge quantity of basil. Don't let the odd ingredients put you off, it did not taste of strawberry, just wonderfully fruity and herbal. It went perfectly with smoked chicken.

Pesto Fraise Basilic

35 grams (1/3 cup) freshly grated Parmesan
    35 grams (1/3 cup) whole blanched almonds, toasted
    A small handful (about 1/3 cup) fresh basil leaves
    5 small strawberries (or 3 large), hulled [be sure to use fragrant and full-flavored strawberries: if they're a bit bland, I'm quite sure they'll get lost in the battle]
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt, freshly ground pepper

Makes about 1/2 cup (the recipe can be doubled).

Combine the Parmesan, almonds, and basil in a mixer or blender, and process in short pulses until the mixture forms a paste. Add the strawberries and olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and mix until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Transfer into a jar, close tightly, refrigerate, and use within a few days.

Use in sandwiches, on canapés and crostini, toss with pasta, etc.

https://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2006/06/strawberry_basil_pesto.php

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I need a pesto recipe that calls for a LOT of basil. Yes it is avery good year for basil!

Will trade bottles of home made yummy pesto for useful plants / seeds. Preferably in person.... Give me a days notice and it'll be as fresh as you can get.