A.B's Plot

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Australian Beekeeper, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Working away. The trailer is functioning as the temporary nursery. I have avocado and tamarillo seeds on the cook and about to set up the mornings seeds. Has warmed up a heap here. Also have a heap of acerola cuttings, will see how they fare.

Have done some early splits from the home base hive. Textbook emergency cells and I still have drones around so should work fine. Also planted a second avo (Fuerte) and a mango (Alison red). Really happy with how the fruit trees are progressing :)

2. Australian Beekeeper

Moringa are germinating and truncheons are sprouting. Everything is bursting into life around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Australian Beekeeper

Not on here much, I went away for a while due to the massive adds at the top and because the forum was no longer as easy to use. The place seems to have quietened down a lot?

Anyway a heap has happened at mine. Perhaps the most noticeable are that I built a shed (just a 3X3 for garden tool storage) expanded the nursery and fell in love with vetiver. I didn't really know how well it would work... the stuff is amazing. I have pulled up my sporadic plantings, split into slips and planted as a terrace/swale the entire length of my block just above the fruit tree line along the fence (vetever hedge is about 5m inside fence with 10cm spacings) Towards summers end I will do another hedge on the fence line.. These will work to keep both soil and water on my property. They will also look really nice and provide mulch for my fruit trees.

I have also planted a bunch of different wattles and other fast growing natives to use as chop and drop and to get some shade happening!

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi A.B.,
    We had a difficult time trying to upgrade the vBulletin forum software (which other forums are abandoning en masse) and finally re-ported the forums over to Xenforo software. Although we've lost some of the features in vBulletin, the new versions are not stable whereas Xenforo is working quite well.
    This process was quite disruptive and things have gotten quiet, but I'm hoping that old and new members will return and help re-build our dynamic and important community here.
    Good to see your return!

5. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Hi AB, glad to see you are back and it sounds like you are doing well, always good to hear of peoples successes. We are gearing for winter here now and once I have everything winterized it will be on to the house build start. We love our little trailer but have decided to give ourselves more stretching room instead of trying to tough it out for another full year. Look forward to reading more about your place and the progress reports.

6. Australian Beekeeper

Thanks both of you. Bryant I hope the winter prep goes well. Look forward to seeing the updates. Looks like we will have some rain here again today. Great time of year and some good rain despite the El Nino

7. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    The El Nino is creating lots of rain events for us, we are predicted to get another 5" + event over the thanksgiving holidays (4 days) it is really putting a crimp in my construction plans, but that's earth mother and she doesn't listen to me much. I'll just work on everything as allowed by the thunder boys and it will get done, just not as quickly as I would like. I'm hoping to have at home internet in the next 6 months so I can upload some photos of our place. At least I got the winterization work done so we will be warm the hogs will be warm and dry and the winter gardens will keep on producing for us. Like you, we just have to keep plugging along and slow and steady progress just gives more opportunity to get it right the first time around.

8. Australian Beekeeper

Getting better over time

[​IMG]

9. Australian Beekeeper

And some more. Also forgot to add that I worked with/fought council and had the twin planning changed to above ground sprinklers for treated waste water instead of sub surface. Much better! I can now plant trees everywhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    songbird and 9anda1f like this.
  10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    great to see the progress and how everything is
    coming along. :)

11. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi AB.
    Yeah, I had a bit of trouble trying to log in for a while, but thankfully thats all sorted now.
    Lovely pics.