Who do you know who can help?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by permup, Oct 26, 2011.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

Ever see that 80s movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy”? The one where the Bushmen travel to the end of the Earth to get rid of the Coca-Cola bottle that fell from the sky? I went and visited those Bushmen recently. They’re called the San, and they live on a large sandy plain called the Kalahari Desert in Namibia, Southern Africa.
    I am writing to you of these people because I feel we, as a people, are on the verge of losing something that should not be lost.
    Hunter gatherers for thousands of years, the San are now restricted in their movements due to the developing world. They are marginalised and discriminated against by government and locals alike.
    Unable to feed themselves from the land any longer, they are at the mercy of donations of limited food provision to survive. A highly intelligent people and incredibly industrious, they want to be self-sustaining and have entered into a program to educate themselves in how to grow their own food and include fruit and vegetables into their diet.
    Like most people, I don’t control anything in this world but my own actions. I can control what I do with my time, where I dedicate my focus, and who I choose to help. I have chosen to take what I’ve been given—a Permaculture education—and share it with the San so they can put food into their own and their children’s bellies. Because, despite being half a world away, we share a common humanity, and I believe that geographical distance should not limit a person’s sense of community.
    My visit to the Kalahari Desert and the Bushmen helped me understand their plight. Water is tough to come by and any crops they can grow are unprotected from cattle as there are no fences to keep them away. The cattle are owned by local rich farmers called the Herero, who have no regard for the San people and treat them more as a pest than fellow human beings.
    The village church was built about 5 years ago. The perfect site for a community Permaculture garden; access to water and fencing will be essential. 400mm of rain primarily occurs in December/January each year, but very little for the rest of the year. Provision of rainwater tanks with an 80,000 litre capacity would supply fresh water for the garden for the rest of the year. I currently have a quote being raised by a local company via the Pastor of their church and I would very much like to raise the money to help them on their journey towards self sufficiency.
    If you know of anyone who can assist me in raising money for these water tanks, I would greatly appreciate you forwarding this document to them. If you or your organisation would like to donate, please contact me on at [email protected] or on 0402064832.

2. annette

annette Junior Member

Paula, I think you should send an email or try and talk to someone at ABC 612 Brisbane. I remember not so long back a lady contacted them about a village in Africa (sorry can't remember where it was) and tried to get shoes for the people that lived there. Well it turned out that they got soooo many shoes. I think a lot of people remember that movie (the demographics of those that listen to the abc anyway) and it sounds like something the ABC would be interested in. If they took it on, all thier problems would be solved I'm sure. good luck.