Stinging Nettles

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by helenlee, Aug 5, 2010.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

What does everyone here use to take the pain out of stinging nettle rash? I've had a big day out in the paddock & I'm numb & burning & tingling & stinging all at the same time!

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Squashed dock leaves - though the symptoms sound invigorating and somehow sensual.

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:) PP I was thinking the same thing ... there could be a market there for a product ... but I wouldn't be putting it on my hands & wrists :)

I've tried the dock ... no luck. The best I can come up with is to wash the area with hot water & plenty of soap as soon as possible. However I have so many nettles here I've got to the point where I just ignore it & keep going. Turned out I overdid it a bit yesterday ... my hands are still numb & stinging at the same time (!) today. They must have different potency at different times of the year. Sometimes it only hurts for a few hours, sometimes it stays for a few days. They give me the pip.
    I'm going to take revenge on them today & make a big brew of compost tea :)

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Figuring that your nettle pain is relieved now, just thought i'd mention that in foothills of the Himalaya they make a fibre from Nettles and I saw some lovely crocheted scarves. True they weren't particiularly soft but they were pretty. Perhaps you could make other things from the fibre. If you were so inclined.

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Apparently the roots make a very nice yellow dye ... I haven't tried it out yet but I will. I knew it was useful for fibre ... but I'd have to be just about naked before I'd be inspired enough to try it I think :)

6. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

I often hear about stinging nettles in permaculture circles - and even see that Northey Street Community Permaculture Farm (Brisbane) has stinging nettles for sale in pots. So .... why? What is the positive use for this foe/friend?

7. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

OK I've googled it. Helenlee you could be the healthiest person on the planet!
    Would anyone care to share their edible uses for stinging nettles, as well as their gardening uses?

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I often hear about stinging nettles in permaculture circles - and even see that Northey Street Community Permaculture Farm (Brisbane) has stinging nettles for sale in pots.

Well that gives me hope for an income stream ... I could be a millionaire!

OK I've googled it. Helenlee you could be the healthiest person on the planet!
    Would anyone care to share their edible uses for stinging nettles, as well as their gardening uses?

Yes I know I should, & I'm not. And my hands ... which suffer the most stings ... still have arthritis :(
    Clearly, you can't believe everything you read on the net ;)
    I use them for making compost & compost tea.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ahh - posted on the OTHER thread. The answer is obviously a no....

10. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

Nettle is excellent for pies and soups and we use from early spring to late fall (young leafs). Of course for picking gloves are necessary :)
    The other thing is the Colorado potato beetles that can be suppress in potatos by the mulch of nettle for couple of weeks or month.

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I have tried to grow nettles several times and failed
    They are interesting plants the chemical in the sting is 5HTP .
    The sting is said to be good for arthritis and the roots high in lauric acid which is good for the prostate.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

It would be a bit scary trying to apply the root to your prostate without getting stung though although they are supposed to be good for haemorrhoids too...LOL

Seem to have some great recipes though Pesto, risotto,quiche

13. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

Perhaps the best way to plant nettles is mulching with adult plants. My garden is now full of nettles, which certainly was not my intention. :)