south facing block in australia

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by newieboy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

I own a south facing block in NSW and was wondering if I am going to be fighting a loosing battle in trying to an edible garden. If anyone has any tips or info it would be greatly appreciated.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

There's always SOMETHING that you can grow in the shade. I'd be careful to not pick things that need full sun, or you'll end up miserable...

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Reflect the light newie. You can do this with any light or reflective surface - a morror works well as does the trunk of trees such as spotted gum and even lattice work painted in a light color or a water tank.
    Just a few ideas to get you started.

4. permup

permup Junior Member

When you say a "south facing block", can you be a bit more specific about what you mean? Do you mean that you have a flat block of land and the back yard faces south, or do you mean that you live on a hill and face south? The distinction is important, as with a flat block, you will find that you have any number of "north facing" locations on your land. If its on a hill, then you won't have much trouble in summer, but a lot more trouble in winter. Making an assessment of your specific block will allow you to understand the microclimates within it, and start looking for solutions such as the great one PurplePear has suggested.

5. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

Hello permup, Sorry I should have gave a bit more detail. It is on a hill that faces south and the land size is about 2500m2. I do plan on doing my PDC later on to help with the design but am just getting some ideas in the meantime. I like purplepears idea of reflecting the light. I just put up a fence so I am spewing that I didnt use light coloured panels now. O well live and learn :)

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

evaporation will always be lower facing south!

7. permup

permup Junior Member

Newie, don't be too worried about the orientation of your block. Certainly a north facing block is optimum, but we always say that the problem is the solution. You will find there is a unique range of foods that are better suited to your conditions than a North face. Look into berries (they prefer a south face I believe, and they are a premium price!) Leafy greens like spinach, lettuce and silverbeet all like the south side. My parents had a south facing block on a steep hill up near Newcastle NSW, and they managed to grow a very successful mango tree which fruited outrageously every year.

The other thing to do is ensure that you plant any larger trees to the southern-most boundary of your block, to allow as much Northern light in as possible.

8. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Junior Member

Lardizabala biternata

9. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

Thanks for the tips, I to live in newcastle so the mango tree story made me feel more confident about my block.