Simple forumula for feeding the world?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Eclipse, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    When everyone does their little part, all those little parts will add up to a giant part.
    I am encouraged by how many are already doing their little part, and how many newcomers arrive at doing their little part every day.

I believe the next little part to take care of is the dependence on fossil fuels, it is coming along but there is still a ways to go on that front.
    When the US abandoned JFK's school exercise initiative the number of obese kids started climbing. The US decided it was better to move kids from neighborhood schools for "equality" so now most of every school budget is for fuel and busses instead of education. It may have been better to move teachers around instead. Perhaps there is to much "legislation with out thought of consequence"? Perhaps it is time to make politics back into volunteer your time for the good of your State/ Country instead of keeping the "profession" alive. Or maybe we just need to only allow a politician one term then vote them out so they have to find a real world job and see the consequences of their actions while in congress.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Flatland

Flatland Member

You are so right.
    Love your part of the world but You would be very hard pressed to grow market gardens there. I'm down on the very bottom of the Murray on the lake again not market garden land.
    I think people who live in high rainfall countries don't have an understanding of how dry places like Australia are. Lots and lots of land looks like it could support a hugh population when in reality it is probably already over populated.

In my opinion the world needs to seriously curtail its human breeding. Forget about how to grow and distribute food, that akin's to a farmer bringing in hay to feed his cows when he is seriously over stocked. The cows may get fed but the land gets distroyed because there are just too many cows pounding the land. Same thing with the human population we just cut back on the number of humans

3. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I totally agree with the reduction of human numbers, this then brings up the really big question. "Which humans do we reduce?"
    By simple observation it currently appears that the earth mother is using location selection in her current reduction of humans. Earthquakes, tsunamis, and soon more volcanic eruptions, all reduce populations of humans by location. Diseases, also remove humans and with our ability to travel extreme distances in short periods of time, these will be spread to locations they previously would have never arrived at in condition to spread.

In the USA there are massive groups who seem to be having children just to get a piece of the welfare pie. Perhaps all countries that have such systems need to put a cap on just how many of these children should be provided for with tax monies. I think self replacement, once you have had two children you should be sterilized so you can not add to the burden. I also think that if you are on a welfare program you should be subject to drug testing, but first to do is mandatory sterilization of both males and females. Especially those males who refuse to provide for their children, females who continue to have children, past the two limit would forfeit their welfare money and be sterilized as a requirement to regain welfare monies for two of the children, the others would have to be provided for by the mother and father.

4. hoggie

hoggie New Member

Climate:
    South UK - temperate?
    But surely a large amount of animals are grazed on land that could not sustain crops - mountain sides etc. So it makes sense to utilise that land to grow animals if you can't use it to grow crops?

Added to which, if no farm animals were grown, there would be no natural way of fertilizing land - yes you can use plant matter and seaweed, but it doesn't go as far as animal "products". So by getting rid of all farm animals, the chemical industries have won?

5. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I don't think it is a matter of not producing animals for food use, I think it is more about growing those food use animals near the end location, where that meat will be sold. Before the mass transportation of beef and hogs, these animals were local grown and local butchered. There is something very wrong with a system that moves cattle from Texas all the way to Chicago so they can be killed and cut up then transported back to Texas and other States. The "modern" models of agriculture have proven over and over that they are not sustainable models, requiring lots of fuel, constant additions of artificial nutrients both for plant foods and for animal foods. It is really time for people to understand that this just isn't working the way the big corporations tell us it is. It's true that there is land suitable for animals that isn't suitable for plants per the "modern methods", but if you practice sustainable farming/ ranching, then you can have better fields and better pastured animals. All you have to do is use the animals for the fertilizer by letting them graze through the just cut crop field.

songbird likes this.
  6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    plus as omnivores there really isn't a need to eat as much meat as we do these days. if you cut back to eating meat only 2-4 times a week instead of every day and mix up what meats you eat that can greatly reduce the larger impact you are having upon the planet.

that's why i grow beans. they're good, filling and easy to grow along with using in the various forms (fresh, shellies and dried). add peas to the mix and you have even more choices. :)