Senegalia pennata and Vernonia amygdalina

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by void_genesis, May 7, 2014.

1. void_genesis

void_genesis Junior Member

I recently came across material for some uncommon south east asian perennial vegetables, Senegalia pennata and Vernonia amygdalina. They are both small trees/large shrubs that have edible young leaves, used in south east asian cooking. They are known as Cha-om and bitterleaf as well, respectively. The first is a ferny leaved leguminous tree with spiny branches, the second is a daisy with broad leaves that is also effective for treating worms and even malaria.

Does anyone have experiences eating these vegetables and reflections/recommendations?

Has anyone grown these before? I am in a subtropical climate (light frosts every few winters) in eastern Australia, so I think they should grow well in the right spot (maybe too well!).

2. void_genesis

void_genesis Junior Member

Just realised the Vernonia bitterleaf is actually Piper lolot. I also have a big patch of Piper sarmentosa already growing that I haven't figured out how to use yet. Does anyone have experience cooking it or P. lolot? I have seen it for sale for a while in permaculture circles....

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

None of those are familiar to me. Elisabeth Fekonia is the Sunny Coast expert on tropical veges - she might know, or even have plant material.

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

She does talks at Yandina now and again and I've noticed there is another person now doing tropical veggie talks as well.

Check out Yandina Community Gardens.

5. MishMak

MishMak New Member

Climate:
    Temperate (Sydney, NSW)
    I realise that this post is quite old now, but if you are still interested, I make Nigerian bitter leaf soup (usually using the dried leaf) and would love to swap a recipe for a cutting or two :)
    I think they should grow well in the sub-tropics but I would like to try bitter leaf in Sydney. I believe there is at least one Nigerian family living in Sydney who has grown it successfully, so I'd like to give it a go.

Cheers,
    Michelle