Oops

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Stephy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

I think I burnt the roots of my nectarine tree with fresh compost; I added dolomite to the soil to amend the soil but the tree had allready been exposed to the acidic conditions for about a week.

The tree has had some leaf drop it seems to have stopped so far.

Is it too late or will it be ok ?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Only time will tell. Don't worry - we have all done it. I have turned many expensive fruit trees into sticks myself! Eventually you learn from the experience and don't do it again.

It's a bit early to be putting compost under your fruit trees - it is still too cold in SEQ (relatively speaking that is!) and the rains won't come now for ages. Compost will encourage growth and without water you'll get a sick stressed plant. I wait until you see signs of the new growth kicking off first, then get out there with my compost and make sure I'm watering if it isn't falling out of the sky.

You might also want to look into why your finished compost is ending up strongly acidic.

3. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

My thoughts where to keep the roots warm to help it over winter :S

Now I have done more harm than good >.<

*shame*

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Well, I don't think there's any such thing as bad compost :) I do lasagna layers right in place, so it is often "unfinished" on top of where my plants are and they are perfectly happy. I especially build compost layers in the fall and let it sit all winter under thick mulch. I don't have a lot of manure in my compost, so it doesn't usually cause a high nitrogen situation.

It might be the dolomite blast it got. You might want to add the dolomite to the compost in the future, and let it mingle there for a month or two. My soil tends to be acidic and my fruit trees don't have any leaf drop.

I've found nectarines and peaches to be fussy. How old is this tree? Was there sporadic watering with drying in between? What color were the leaves when they dropped? Green? Yellow? Does it get that peach tree bumpy leaf curl thing and are those the leaves that dropped?

5. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

The whole exercise seems kind of futile in hind sight, however the nectarine has stopped dropping leaves so I maybe in the green.

"What color were the leaves when they dropped? Green? Yellow? Does it get that peach tree bumpy leaf curl thing and are those the leaves that dropped? "

The tree is just over a year old
    I would water it with a bucket every 2nd week over winter
    All the lower leaves dropped, they where still green but they where all the old leaves.
    No leaf curl.

I also put a thin layer of compost under my young mango tree, causing it to have growth spurt; but that could mean many things I would imagine.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Do you have new buds on it yet? My nectarine is covered in flower and new tiny leaves. Ahhh spring!

7. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Lots of new growth, no flower buds..

There are lots of buds on my young Dwarf Avocado trees. :) I hope Normal size bees will pollinate them.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

We must be out of sync! No buds on my avocados… yet….

9. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Must be :) Mine are Dwarf Wurtz, https://www.daleysfruit.com.au says it flowers from July - November.

The Nectarine is Sunraycer harvest / flower period October - November.

10. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    None on mine either yet Eco, I also have Wurtz, the leaves are still young and red and just emerging. Might be they need a good drink.

11. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Ok update, my Nectarine has began to show flower buds on all the 1 year old growth. :) *yippie* !!

Is there any reccommendation to assist in large fruit once pollinated ?

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

No idea apart from treating it nicely with food and water. My issue is keeping the birds and bats off it. They are happy to eat them before they get ripe enough for me. Which reminds me - I better go start bagging some up if I want to get some this year….

13. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Mulch. Not right up against the trunk, but a little away from it and just out a little from where the outer most branches end.