Ontario, Canada zone 5b

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by TrevorR, Aug 2, 2017.

1. TrevorR

TrevorR New Member

Climate:
    Canada, Ontario, zone 5a
    please give as much input as possible to my new food forest garden. I have 5 acres near my house that has been only sheep pasture for the past 15+years. I want to reforest it into the most amazing space possible. In the short term (1 year) I want to put in swales to hold water. Use the Swales as a starting point for tree planting, while using the open spaces for pasture still.
    I am going to plant black locusts and any other nitrogen fixing trees that can be recommended to my location into a 6' swath around contour Swales across my field. I plan to plant apple, plum, apricot, pear etc fruit trees with gooseberry currants and other shrubs in this area. Confrey, blackberries, raspberries, and any other perennial beneficial s I can plant will be added to make the most abundant diverse production possible. I want to add bees to the mix for pollination and honey.
    In the pasture area I plant to run the sheep on a daily rotation followed by my chicken tractors moved daily. If possible I want to free range ducks geese and ginea hens in the area for diversification.
    Please advise as I am in the installing earthworks part of my installation. I am in for the long game and want to do this right the first time. At least the best that can be done through observation and informed decision making. The rest is Mother Nature.

Attached Files:

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi Trevor, what an exciting project you have there!
    I wish I had a few acres to play with too!!.

I cant help you with the swales, I'm sure somebody like Terra will be along shortly to lend a hand though.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress so please let us know what you decide on doing.

3. theBrownie

theBrownie New Member

Climate:
    NA
    Hey, I'd be interested in learning more. If you're still here, I'm also planning a project in Ontario.