New to Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by silkhay, Nov 18, 2011.

1. silkhay

silkhay Junior Member

Hi I have just moved to SE brisbane on 5 acres. Struggling a bit with sub tropical plantings as I have always lived in temperate and cold climates. Also Cane Toads, how does one deal with them, pond & dam are full of toad tadpoles.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Scoop the toadpoles out and leave them to dry / die on the ground. Don't feed them to the chooks as they are poisonous. My kids and I have toad hunting sessions in summer and fill a couple of plastic bags with them. Pop the bag into the freezer to knock them off and then compost the bodies.

3. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Hi Silkhay

It is a bit of a transition and we have done the same this year. Our best learnings have come from joining a local growers group nad we've been flooded with knowledge, cuttings and support ever since. The cane toads and snakes get a bit of getting used to but I like all the new tropical fruit that the move has opened up.

4. silkhay

silkhay Junior Member

Thanks

Thankyou for the tips, I have bought a small fish net that should handle the tadpoles!

5. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Silkhay

Make sure they really are cane toads first. Some native frogs look a lot like cane toads. If they are cane toads, I have found hockey sticks, golf clubs and a good sharp hit with a shovel are good strategies. I just can't cope with the thought of having cane toads in my freezer.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

On the other hand I can't cope with violently splattered bodies. Each to their own!

7. silkhay

silkhay Junior Member

No couldn't hit them, it isn't their fault they are an ecological disaster. Freezer is at least painless. Can't say I really fancy them in there with the fish fingers but!!

8. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Cane Toad tadpoles are jet black.and their eggs are like a string of pearls. Native frogs have bubble nests of eggs. Around my pond I use 25mm x 25mm mesh which allows the native frogs in and the cane toads out. Given the chance the natives will come back.

9. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Which part. There's lots of us around. We were new to it too. Now have adjusted veg planting plus enjoy bannana paw paw, and more unusual stuff citrus grows fine too

10. silkhay

silkhay Junior Member

Carbrook

11. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Is there a page/book/link to nice subtropical food forest/veggie gardening info anywhere? I can find more temperate books easily enough.

12. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Google Tropicalpermaculture most of what isthere is relevant

13. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Yep, that's the one of the best, for sure and google gets me there every time. A lot of it seems like it's been placeholdered, awaiting updates so I'm not sure if it still being updated.

Anything else?