New Forum Members: Start Here

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by 9anda1f, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome!

Thanks for joining our forums. We hope to gain as much information and insight from you as you can obtain from our knowledgeable members. The purpose of these forums is to enable the free-flow of information related to Permaculture (essentially life in concert with the Earth :D ) between Permaculturists and those interested in Permaculture ideas, concepts, and techniques from around the planet.

These forums are associated with and support the Permaculture Research Institute (PRI) and our parent web site https://permaculturenews.org. For a great overview on Permaculture read here: https://permaculturenews.org/about-permaculture-and-the-pri/

In order to help enable the free-flow of information, here are a few tips and some background to help get started smoothly.

1. Be nice. 'Nuff said. :D
    2. New member posts are placed in a moderation queue for approval prior to actually showing up on the forum. After three approved posts, your posts will appear directly. This is one of the mechanisms we use to prevent spammers from running amok here :wink:
    3. This is an international forum. As such, it's hard to provide an appropriate response to a question if you don't state where on Earth you're located! It's easy to put location information in your forum profile that will show on each of your posts, or merely state this type of information in your posting. The idea being that we can put your question into the context of your location/climate/situation. 8)
    4. Enjoy. Read. Learn. Contribute. Thanks for being here.

The Members

Everyone, please add any tips, hints, or procedures you may think of that might help new members get the hang of things quickly.
    If you've posted these types of things before, you can copy it there and paste it in a new post within this thread. Thanks! :D

2. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Re: New Forum Members: Start Here

Posting Photos:

1. The forum does not store electronic photographs. You must have an account on a server somewhere to host your pics, then include a link to your photo within your post.
    2. This is true for avatars also.
    3. Potential photoservers (I believe these are free sites):
    Photobucket https://www.photobucket.com
    Image Shack https://www.imageshack.us
    TinyPic https://www.tinypic.com
    or just Google "image hosting" and take your pic :D
    4. Upload your photos to your account using the instructions on your site
    5. Highlight the direct link to your pic, then "Edit" - "Copy" the link
    6. In a post, click on the Img button along the top of the posting text box (where you're typing your post)
    7. This will insert the following into your post: [/img} Place your cursor between the two delimiters, between these ] [ and then paste the direct link to your pic using "Edit" - "Paste"
    8. To see the results, click on the Preview button directly beneath the posting text box.
    9. If you like the results, click the Submit button. If not, continue editing your post until you are happy then click Submit.

That's all there is to it! Enjoy!

Edit: New forum software will host pics within the forums! See [URL="https://forums.permaculturenews.org/showthread.php?16842-New-Photos-and-Albums!"]here[/URL].

OBTW, for an avatar, edit your profile and paste the direct link to your avatar pic in the space provided.

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

perhaps you could start a new forum that sits above planting ect then it would be obvious to newbies at the start?
    perhaps I could have edited my previous submission rather than a new post

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Wane the best way to get alot of opion about this question is to start anew thread asking the question in the building section.
    Here it is off topic and won't attract older members who may not read this thread
    . . . . . . . . .

On posting
    You have the option of posting a 'sticky' this features your post for the number of days you decide (keep it short). if for example you are advertising a School garden day or permaculture Course that starts on 25 December you would choose to 'stick' for a maximum of 60 days from today.

Global posts should be avoided unless you are announcing WW3.
    it is shouting, like posting in CAPITALS!
    . . . . . . . . . . . .

Internet abbreviations
    This may help you to make quicker post. Though don't assume everone will know what you are talking about.
    IMHO – in my humble opinion
    IMNSHO – in my not so humble opinion
    LOL – laughing out loud
    ROFLMAO – rolling on floor laughing my a*s off
    THX - thanks
    TX - thanks
    TY - thank you
    NP - no problem/you're welcome
    PLZ - please
    W/E - whatever
    RL – real life
    IRL – in real life
    AAMOF As A Matter Of Fact
    AFAIK As Far As I Know
    AFAIR As Far As I Recall
    AFB Away From Brain
    AMAP As Much As Possible
    APAC All Praise And Credit
    (This needs to be said to moderators frequently) ;)
    & TY ruralsa you will get ahead (YWGA?). :)

See basic ones here:-
    https://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/net ... ions_2.htm
    and
    A more complete listing here
    https://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

This one from butcher steve

WOM wind up merchant

6. Michaelangelica

New Members Please Note
    Please do not put links in your first post, especially in the signature, as they will be treated as spam and you risk a permanent ban from these forums

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    He should know LOL

(in case anyone thinks I'm being mean, Butcher Steve had one of the Monsanto office contact details in his signature line for a long time. I still don't know if he works for them or was just winding us up).

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I bet the new members will only read michaelangelos post after they've posted.

9. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

I've been here for (seems like) years, and this is the first time I ever read it :rofl:

10. Michaelangelica

no "risk' just a permanent ban please note
    We have many one time posters posting on threads just to get their business free advertisng
    A thread is available to advertise Permaculture relevant businesses for free.

11. Peter

Peter Junior Member

I can't seem to work out how to "Introduce Myself" - Can you advise please?

12. 9anda1f

Climate:
  13. 9anda1f

Climate:
  14. TLP

TLP Junior Member

I was wondering what happen to this site. I been over at permie.com mainly in the building forums. I got tired of my post being removed or over modded for using words like "you" or "should".....Also, I'm an Engineer and if I worded my post in such a way that made it appear that my post or what is interpreted as "my opinion" was superior to others that is not allowed even if someone asked for "my expert advice". Often, I write post that points to building code or test data that is not my "opinion" I tried to explain but got nowhere. The place is a ghost town with inaccurate bad advice all over it, the best most knowledge builders, etc...got fed up and left or have been banned.

Question: Is this permaculture mentality? In realty we use the words "you" and "should" in everyday life and I'm sorry often technically there is no room for opinion, if there is, some people are more qualified to state so and even tell people so. They even have rules for how to debate or disagree that are out of touch with reality. I ask since I'm still learning about permaculture..Sounds like some sort of cult over there trying to play mind control games with silly rules. I been on many forums for at least 10 years now and never seen anything like it nor will I be a part of it. I do not see such rules here?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  15. Billy VanCuren

Billy VanCuren New Member

I'm not a moderator or anything and without seeing the posts can't provide an opinion of those or how they were taken. I've seen discussions, that as long as they are conducted respectfully, there shouldn't be any issues. There are a lot of "it depends" in permaculture and some of that involves the process of nullification in exercise to prove that something works. If it's a structural issue, engineering would be useful background to have. If its strictly to meet "building codes", then it may not matter for nullification. Each site has guidelines that don't really include the specific mention of using those words.

9anda1f likes this.
  16. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Hi TLP,
    Good to see you again ... sorry for your experiences with permies.
    Plenty of opinions here! Some examples: https://permaculturenews.org/forums...cience-and-permaculturists.14517/#post-118837
    Opinions and healthy discussions are welcome here, however personal attacks and trolling are not. Diversity is not only a Permaculture value in plants, livestock, and design but also a value in people, ideas, and our personal relationships. Our "rules" are basically the Permaculture ethics, recognizing diversity of ideas and treating each other with respect, for as we all know we're here on this planet together discovering the far reaching realm of Permaculture concepts.

Trolling is a bit different but I define it as repeatedly attempting to provoke emotional response from our members with inflammatory statements/posts.One instance of trolling I can think of would be anthropogenic climate change denial. Feel free to message me (i.e. start a conversation using the link at the top right of the forum page that looks like dialog bubbles from a comic strip) if you'd like to know more about why.