Moving chooks interstate

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Felix, May 1, 2005.

1. Felix

Felix Guest

Hi all,

I am about to leave Canberra for Hobart (ever so much closer to my land now), and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on best way to move chooks. My daughter is very attached to our 3 pekin buffs (Honey, Penny and Pingu), so now I have to get them to Hobart. I am thinking about flying them down (yes the irony of the statement does tickle my funny bone), but was wondering if anyone has done it before? Can I just put the 3 of them in a cat box?

I leave in 2 weeks so a quick reply is appreciated!

Cheers

Alex

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I put 3 large-breed chickens in a larger cat box to take them to the vet. No problem at all. Watch out for heat problems.

But call your vet to find out if you'll need a health certificate for them.

I read some years ago how insanely stupid some areas are about health certificates for animals: a man was going to Canada from the U.S. for two days & had his dog with him. The U.S. border patrol let him out of the country (about 50 ft). But when he got to the Canadian border patrol (another 50 ft), they wouldn't let him in without a health certificate. So he turned around, and went back to the U.S. border patrol, and they wouldn't let him back INTO the U.S., because he had been on Canadian soil (100 ft) and was trying to come back in without a health certificate. They KNEW he had just passed through, and they KNEW he had only gone as far as the Canadian border patrol box.

If you compost an idiot politician, does the stupidity leach out, or is there a chance you can get it from the veggies?

Sue

3. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

G'day Alex,
    Surprisingly, there are no rules or regs for taking chooks to Tassie (there are for plants though). Are you going by boat? You can take them on the Spirit, just email/phone them and enquire.
    Lucky, lucky you getting to live in that most beautiful place.

4. Cly

Cly Junior Member

That is the funniest darn thing I've read in donkeys years. :)

As for moving to Tas, oooh I've been there once and it's such a captivating place, my favourite little stop was Stanley where I stayed in the Harbour Master's Cottage...what a magical little place it is. You're very fortunate, I wish you all the very best.

5. Felix

Felix Guest

Cheers for the tip about health certificates, we have checked with AQIS and there are more regs on the dog (Has to be vaccinated for hydatids). I am looking forward to be close to our 7 acres so we can start looking at d4evloping the land and building a permie house...but am also a little daunted by the prospect. We have a lot of Blackberry and gorse to clear first..might have to borrow some goats!