I love my city!

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by altamira55, Jan 23, 2014.

1. altamira55

altamira55 Junior Member

Every year, the City of San Antonio has a Fruit Tree Adoption event (there's a typo in the announcement of the tree adoption; they're giving away over 1,000 fruit trees):

----------------------------------------------------------

From November through March is the best time to plant trees in the Alamo Region. Opportunities now exist to assist in tree adoptions and/or plantings being carried out to help increase the tree canopy in the Alamo region. If you are interested in volunteering to help adopt out or plant trees, please contact Meredith Ruiz to sign up. Please help us spread the word to potential volunteers. Improving our urban forest is a community effort.

Jammin’ Jams - Fruit and Nut Tree Adoption
    Saturday, January 25, 2014, 9:00 a.m.
    Pearl Brewery Farmer’s Market
    200 E Grayson St
    San Antonio, TX 78212
    Don’t miss the Fourth Annual Jammin’ Jams free fruit and nut tree adoption! The City of San Antonio's Parks & Recreation Department will be giving away over 1,00 fruit and nut trees in effort to promote food security, enhance canopy coverage, diversify, and beautify our community. An extensive tree canopy helps to clean our air! Limit: one tree per household. For more information, please contact Mark Bird.

https://www.alamoforestpartnership.org/
    -------------------------------------------------

When a neighbor complained about my "untidy" garden, a city ordinance enforcer came out to see it and loved it! I did a post on my blog, listing some the plants growing in the yard, with photos of many of them. The city enforcers liked it and said it was fine to keep my garden, just as it was. The city also allows grey water systems for homes, and anyone can keep chickens ( permits are required for larger livestock such as goats, cattle, and horses). My office is in a historical district, where the buildings and landscaping must conform to the Historical Committee's idea of Historically Correct. It's going to be interesting to see what they say when I apply for a pemit to install a rainwater cistern at the office. There have been stone cisterns around here since the Spanish arrived in the 1600's, but not fiberglass or polyethelene. San Antonio's water situation is precarious, so I believe they'll let me have a cistern of some sort -- they may require me to use cement or ferrocement that look more like stone.

Of course there's corruption in the city government, as I suppose there will always be when a relatively small group of people governs a much larger group. But despite that, despite horrible things being done by land developers, there's so much good as well.

Austin, our neighbor to the north, recently passed laws that encourage farms within the city; I don't think San Antonio ever had a law against urban farms, although some of the newer neighborhoods have covenants that do not allow vegetables to be grown in front yards.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That rocks!

3. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Blazing trails! I wish you luck!