How should I prune my Mulberry tree??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lovingmygarden, Aug 16, 2009.

1. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a black mulberry tree that is about 2 and1/2 years old.It has fruited for the last two seasons although not too much of course yet. I have trimmed it once by just lopping off all the taller branches to keep it neat. It did the job and it grew back really well and fruited almost immediately after the new growth appeared, but it is already looking scraggly after just one year. These trees seem to grow really fast. I guess I want to know just how often I should prune this tree. Also does pruning bring on the fruit????
    Any help or ideas would be greatly received thanks
    :drinkers: Cheers

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Re: How should I prune my Mulberry tree??

I'm no expert, somebody else will probably be able to give you more precise advice, but here's mine anyway:

- your first flush of fruit for the season will probably already be on your tree now, if not it would nto be far off. The fruit started on mine a few weeks back. Therefore I'd leave the tree for now and prune after you harvest the fruit. If you prune it straight after you harvest, you can expect another flush of fruit to follow. I just cut some of the length off the branches to bring the tree back to a neater form.

3. lovingmygarden

Thanks vegieboy,
    That`s what I was thinking too,but I wanted to see what someone else might do before I attempted it. My tree has finished fruiting about two months ago (probably different climate),so I will give it a trim as you said and hope for another lot soon.
    Thanks

4. lovingmygarden

Thanks vegie boy,
    I trimmed my mulberry tree, it looks great and it already has the next lot of fruit growing......how fast is that????
    Looking forward to making a mulberry pie if the 'delightful' bats don`t beat me to them this year.
    lovingmygarden :D