how much land do you need for a family of 5?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by natalex, May 17, 2012.

1. natalex

natalex Junior Member

Hi,

I am new on this forum and just started learning about Permaculture recently.
    Could you tell me how much land you would buy for a family of 5 to have enough land for a vegetable garden, fruit and nut trees, some grains, chickens, pasture for a few sheep and some wood, to live as self-sufficiently as possible. Thanks to all who reply.

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

There are a few detailed threads that discuss this already on the forum natalex. Check them out and see if you have any more questions...

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Try this - it has links to other threads in it...

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It depends.... Which isn't a smart arse reply (Grahame you didn't did you!?) because it really does. As Grahame says this is a commonly asked question, so look at the archives and you'll find many many answers to that question. I have a slightly larger than average suburban block (1750 m2) and I put food on the table from the garden at basically every meal.

"Self-sufficient" is an illusion, you need a village not a single family for that. If your neighbour has 3 cows and can't drink all that milk, and another neighbour needs their wood lot thinned, and someone else has a glut of plums.... Why try to have it all yourself and lock out the opportunity for community.

5. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It was worse Eco. I know the suspense is killing you. My initial answer was something like...

2.875 acres

:) But I thought Natalex deserved better than that. As you say Eco, the answer depends on just soooo many factors.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I thought the answer to life the universe and everything was 42. I'm not sure if that is acres, hectares or square cubits though!