Greening the Desert?! Wha?!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by jthomp3120, Apr 23, 2005.

1. jthomp3120

jthomp3120 New Member

Let me start of by saying excuse my fumbling curiousity.

I stumbled on PRI webpage through google trying to figure out what permaculture is. I was more than surprised to see the comfort that people that adopt permaculture live in (I live in Alaska and might have a scewed view still). I have to say that reading about permaculture on the internet has become my newest interest. Still I'm confused about the implications that permaculture has on society on a whole (or the future implications).

Jeff Lawton's flash video about greening the desert brought up the most confusion. This seems REVOLUTIONARY!! From what I have learned in school, it seems that desertification is something that can not be stopped. If there is now a way to reverse at least part of the desert, why hasn't it been in the news more? Jeff Lawton said "All the world's problems can be solved in the garden". That made me think and I can agree that so much could be solved if that advice was followed.

If the hippies moved to communes in the 60's why aren't the "hippies" of today learning permaculture? From what I'm getting from the web, it seems it is alot more popular in Australia then here in the US. Are there any PDC for Alaskan climates? We have lots of cheap land here and get lots of constant sunlight in the summer. Having an ecovilliage here would be my dream come true.

I would apreciate it if anyone wants to adress any of my serious but muddled questions.

2. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Don't worry about fumbling :) Everyone has to start somewhere and no matter how much you know about permaculture there is always more to learn. Welcome to the forum!

Plenty of commune/ecovillage 'hippie' people that practice permaculture...anything with a green trend isn't always popular with 'big business' though it does get shows on tv now and then, documentaries here and there and we have some great magazines all over the world.

As for permaculture not being popular in america, you'd be surprised. Take this for example: 22% of American Farmers have adopted the no-dig principle with certain crops growing a cover crop first..flattening it and then planting over it to save on water, pesticide and so forth (which has boosted their yields on average). They mentioned permaculture quite a number of times on the documentary I saw. It's taken time but the lessons of permaculture and it's pioneers slowly seeps in here and there with big business. The amount of American farmers switching to no-dig is rising which is great to hear.

The amount of permaculture in Europe is staggering, I certainly see them as pioneers and excellent role models.

For alaskan climates I'm not sure, I'm from Australia though if you can't find anything on permaculture in alaska I'd be really surprised. Look into countries with similar climates if you have no luck. You could apply alot of the principles though some due to the climate naturally would need adjusting.

There is a permaculture movement in America - you just have to find it.

Good luck! :)

Oh and a fellow on this forum by the name of 'Gardenlen' has an essay on his website which I read only a few days back and found it to be an informative, well thought out and most importantly it's a satisfying read, thought you might want a look. https://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenl ... _essay.htm

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I emailed an acquaintance in Kodiak, asking if she knew of any permaculture courses, etc, in AK, but she said she didn't, that WA is the closest she knows. However, she did direct me toward this online site, which might be useful to you:

https://www.permaculturevisions.com/

Sue

4. Fee

Fee Junior Member

Great discoveries...

I have seen a Bill Mollison video and I remember a segment that I thought was based in Alaska. I did a google search and I think this is it.
    The Global Gardener (1991)(2): 2 parts 1 hour total: The introduction to permaculture by Bill Mollison continues with examples of this kind of thinking in cool climates and then, in the second part, in urban areas including what can be done on an apartment balcony.
    Goodluck!

5. Mont

Mont Junior Member