Fukushima ... again

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by 9anda1f, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Although the quantity of radioactive water that has accumulated differs in each report, the result will be equally bad.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environme...oundwater-at-Fukushima-Will-Japan-dump-at-sea

and:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/world/asia/nuclear-operator-raises-alarm-on-crisis.html?_r=0

2. annette

annette Junior Member

I was reading an article (and sorry I can't find the damn thing to reference) but the bigger problem, apart from the water, is the effect on the land by all the water leaking. What in essence this has done is to turn the area surrounding the nuclear power site into a sort of swampy marshland which is getting worse by the day. As it gets worse and worse (and it will because they can't contain the water) gradually this will effect the stability of the towers etc, and in particular tower 4. It will start to slip and if it tumbles over the whole lot will explode, the biggest release of radiation ever seen. Will make Chernobyl look like a toy rocket in comparison.

This scientist also said that the fallout will go around the northern hemisphere, not so much the southern hemisphere. Radiation in the atmosphere is far worse than in the water.

Meanwhile it has been reported and I have only seen a video that was translated from Japanese into English, that appears to tell people that smiling will protect them from radiation, so keep smiling people and you will be safe. I couldn't believe it. Reminded me of the duck and cover campaign.

3. annette

annette Junior Member