Fruit trees and nitrogen fixing trees

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by joeyd, Oct 2, 2012.

1. joeyd

joeyd Junior Member

We planted a combination of fruit trees and more n fixer trees about three weeks ago on the swale mound. I am getting excited to put our next two swales in. I think i will use our classroom area that is ready to do swale siting and planning class. I posted a video of the trees planted on our website www.dirtypermies.com. it is on the video page. Also put the 47minute video of when Paul wheaton came here. Before it was just the 27 minute one.

The swale we have now is 100 linear feet , 3 feet deep, 3 feet on the bottom and 12 feet open at the top. The next one will be at the highest area of our property and a bit futher from the house. I think it will be closer to 200 linear feet in lenght but not sure of the other dimensions yet. Want to do some more calulations. The first swale is very close to the house and barn/classroom/communal kitchen/mechanics shop/

2. John Gros

John Gros Junior Member

Just wondering how much food you pull in. I am going to set myself up on some land with similar rainfall.

3. joeyd

joeyd Junior Member

The only food pulled in yet were the figs that were on the little trees when we purchased them. The fruit trees are have only been on the swale for 2 months. The swale will be a year old in December.

4. John Gros

John Gros Junior Member

You are a year ahead of me, and as I am in similar rainfall. I'll be watching you like a hawk to see what I can expect.

5. joeyd

joeyd Junior Member

if you subscribe to our dirtypermie you tube channel then you will get the latest video of the progress. We just uploaded a new one talking about long term overstory nfixer on the swale mound. Some more to come talking about the plants on the swale in the food forest.