Free Permaculture Information

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Unmutual, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

We should make a sticky for free permaculture information, including things that can go in to permaculture(gardening, natural history, forestry, etc.). Even if it's just small things like how to plant a tree.

Kenton Brown likes this.
  2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Free Permaculture Information

This is a "sticky" thread. Post free sources of Permaculture related information here and we'll accumulate a vast storehouse of knowledge! ;)

Thanks Unmutual for the idea!

3. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Joel Salatin: Free Online Course

This type of online thing is becoming more common ... we just finished listening to a three-day "webinar" last night. Although there was some marketing for recordings of the event, all-in-all it was worth the trip to the town's library to use their fast internet and stream the courses. I sure won't be missing out on Joel's class!

Verge Permaculture are offering a free 'teleclass' with Joel Salatin, packed with useful information.Joel Salatin is a sustainable farmer at the multi-enterprise Polyface Farm in America, where he uses holistic methods to raise livestock and grow food without the use of harmful chemicals. He is known internationally for his innovative techniques and has created a thriving business that not only provides customers with good quality food, trains the next generation of farmers through his apprenticeship schemes but also makes money. A lot of it. Joel is an example of how a sustainable and low-stress farm can be profitable.
    On October 9th at 6pm (MDT), Joel Salatin will be online talking about 'How to make a living as a farmer'.

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/news/0...atin-teleclass

4. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Free Online 3-Day GMO Summit (October 25-27, 2013)

Another free online webinar ... and although it's free, you've got to put up with some advertising. However, in my experiences with these online things in the recent past, it's not too bad and the speakers have been generally worth hearing!

https://permaculturenews.org/2013/10/11/free-online-3-day-gmo-summit-october-25-27-2013-register-today/

5. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

https://www.permaculturedesigntraining.com/

A free online PDC. I haven't used it yet and it seems that if you want the Permaculture Design Certificate, then it will cost money at the end(unnecessary unless you want to teach, or use the word "permaculture").

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Wow, that looks interesting, will go have a proper look later.

btw, there is nothing to stop someone who has done a PDC, but has no certificate, from teaching or using the word permaculture :)

edit - looks like the paid-for Certificate option includes completing a design project and contact time with a tutor.

7. 9anda1f

Climate:
  8. pavelbentham

pavelbentham Junior Member

9. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

10. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Free online library: How to do stuff ... good stuff!

Jubilee 101:
    https://jubilee101.com/subscription/

11. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Connected: A Film for Change

This looks good ... a film by Kate, Paul, and the Global Documentary Team from Southampton Solent University in the UK. Free online viewing starting tonight with follow-up events on into 2014.
    I haven't seen the film yet (it's not posted till 8:00 pm tonight GMT). But I will surmise that it's about not only a common recognition of humanity's plight and the need to adjust our living patterns into alignment with natural systems, but also about the newfound connectivity we each have by virtue of our internet access and the ability that connectivity gives us. Just a guess ;) We'll have to watch to find out.

https://www.globaldocumentary.org/beta/index.html

also: https://www.permaculture.co.uk/news/0711134010/connected-be-agent-change

12. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

PDC resource set 4 sharing (prospective teachers or students)

2014 was a busy year at Sugarloaf Permaculture. Half way through we started teaching our first PDC that was held at the local community gardens over 14 Sundays. After finishing at the end of November, I was relieved as my evenings were less pressured without the constant preparation and some Sundays were ours again. After some days, while out in the garden, I reflected on the huge number of hours that went into preparing the content for presentation. Yes, I am somewhat of perfectionist and wanted to create a resource that students could keep and refer back to any time (a collection of PowerPoints). But, I wondered how many potential teachers out there were put off by the amount of preparation needed? Anyhow, the thoughts of sharing this resource set emerged and so I decided to go back through the presentations again to improve them further and to ask permission of others who had contributed. Graciously, all were willing to share their efforts. Thank you Cam Wilson, Christian Shearer, and the local presenters from Stanthorpe who are happy to further share their specialties.

People are encouraged to read the accompanying notes before viewing the presentations. If you have a Google account, you will be able to open them in Google Drive and download one by one or the whole folder. If you refuse to bow to Google, then here is a workaround:
    * Click on "Sign in" button on the top-right corner of the linked page.
    * Click Go to Google Drive
    * Use this dummy account; username: permacultureconscience password: mlp=mlp=
    * When logged in there will be a folder called PDC course presentations in My Drive
    * Click on the folder, then hover your mouse until you find the More actions button (to right of trash can), click it and select Download at the bottom
    * It will take few seconds before the folder is zipped and download starts.
    * Or you can double click to get into the folder and see what's there.

These PowerPoints are made freely available in good faith. This means that they are used in accordance with the 3 Permaculture ethics. If you do use them to hold a Permaculture course, please do your best to make it affordable and offer places for people who have the desire but not the financial support. Financial limitation should not be a barrier to Permaculture Education!

If you do not intend to teach Permaculture, you are still welcome to go through the presentations and learn something new. Hopefully they will lead you to much further research and knowledge acquisition (remember to put it into use by DO-ing).

If you find these resources useful enough to feel the urge to donate money in their honour, please have a look at www.wethetrees.com and support an interesting project on there! Thank you for your love.

13. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Thank you Dyllos for posting your PDC presentations! As I well know, putting together presentations for a PDC involves essentially putting the Designer's Manual into your own words.
    What you've shared is substantial and will be a great help to those intent on becoming Design Course instructors.
    I would encourage those who make use of Dyllos' work to also make a donation to We The Trees.
    Thanks again!

14. Beaverlee

Beaverlee Junior Member

the password for the above "dummy" gmail account has been changed - just thought I'd put this up before anyone else fumbles around with it like I did. I have a gmail account, so I"m out of the woods. thanks

15. Piero

Piero Junior Member

n anyone share the link where the information is, for obtaining the diploma with PRI? Can't find anything at all. Also, any thoughts on the "Permaculture Institute" (the people from New Mexico) ? I know they offer a very hard path towards the diploma but I'm not sure if they are trustworthy.

16. ScottRaber

ScottRaber New Member

There is a ton of free stuff here www.issuu.com You are as likely to find a full textbook on architecture as you are to stumble upon something interesting about sericulture or bamboo joinery. Just use the search bar.