Deer Fence Guild

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Pakanohida, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

So I was skimming around Gaia's garden looking for some esoteric information not related to this and I came across a Deer Fence guild. Being that deer are a major problem where I live ((OMG I was so lined up to shoot a 4 pointer today with my camera)) I was curious.

Here are the plants:Hops, Sweet Pea, Russian Olive, Gooseberry, Sunflowers, Clover, Strawberry & Garlic.

I think what is making my mind squirrely is how is this working? Is it a fedge of sorts? Or is it in addition to an actual fence? I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Any ideas? What are your thoughts? Lastly, how are you today?

2. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thanks Geoff,

This is going to be a major investment for us, luckily I know it will pay off in many ways in the end.

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    without getting complicated or technical we've repurposed old wire fencing to exclude them along the most heavily traveled edge. along a ditch we could get by with a low fence because they can't get enough of a jump. the main veggie gardens have a tall fence. that was the most expensive part.

for the rest of the property the deer fence is cedar trees, honeysuckle and other trees which are now large enough to keep most of the deer out, since we do not have a barrier across the drive we do get a few that come in that ways, but they don't stay and since most of the delicates are fenced the damage they do is minimal and acceptable. the cedar trees give off enough seedlings that now we could make some income from selling trees (and we have someone who might buy some as soon as the weather cools off and he can transplant them). the downside to cedar trees is that the deer will eat them if the winter is long and feed is hard to find.
    the downside to the honeysuckle is that it readily spreads so we have to keep after the seedlings which sprout up as the birds spread the fruit around.

the other thing we do which discourages deer is have areas of large rocks that make it tough for them to walk through. they act similar to how cattle crossing guards work... does well in the summer, but doesn't work very well with the deeper snows in the winter. it's ok, we don't have much growing in the winter to protect... :)

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Doing Nothing Gone Awry,

Woke up too early again for annoying reasons and headed to water. As I pass my deck and enter our food forest in progress I see a Doe run by and towards the road from under the Golden plum trees. As I got closer I saw Fawn, and it stared at me, and I it as I walked past it to water in the enclosed garden. I walked over the swale, entered the closed garden and picked up the hose to start watering. Suddenly a Spike ran right past the garden, headed up the swale, freaked out in the rye, and ran after Doe. Then suddenly I see Fawn running directly at me and smashes head on into the fencing, it bent the post over a good 40 degrees towards the ground. It got up, and ran down the trail towards the river and not towards Spike & Doe. I kept watering thinking about what just happened when Doe jumped and ran through blackberry back into my food forest area. I paid it no mind and kept watering. When I was done I started dragging the hose uphill to deep water some trees and get back up to the other kitchen garden. Suddenly I heard a rustle from the deck area, I looked up and Fawn was in my other kitchen garden running back and forth when suddenly it leaped over a fence and landed in blackberry & ferns, misjudged the landing and rolled downhill to the road. It got up and sprung into the forest after Spike & Doe, between me & the clear cutters.

I went back to work, but I can't help but think if I was still in bed none of this would of occurred.