Coordinator position available at MMRF in Belize

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by christopher, Nov 4, 2005.

1. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Maya Mountain Research Farm, in southern Belize, is looking for a full time assistant manager and coordinator to help manage the facility, manage the nursery and reforestation efforts.

Knowledge of lowland humid tropical agriculture is a must. Background in botany would be an asset. Knowledge of Kekchi Maya (or any Quichean language) would be an asset, as would proficiency in Spanish.

Familiarity with Macintosh OSX, as well as Word, Excel, etc wold be an asset.

Coordinator would live at MMRF, and the initial contract would be for 24 months.

Please send contact info via PM.

Thank you.

2. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Wow.... :shock: Fantastic to hear that C.. Shame I can't speak spanish, and know very little about lowland humid tropical agriculture...

good work :D

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I know very little Spanish, and really only a little more about tropical lowland Permaculture, but I would break off my left little toe to come work with MMRF, if only I wasn't already committed to the project I am already engaged in... :roll: So much to do! I hope you find someone good Christopher. In fact, I am going to bring this to the attention of a few likely characters... :D

4. christopher

Thank you Richard and Joel,

Yes, this is something we need to do so that we don't become "technocrats", focused on organizational management issues, looking for funding, running the student housing, etc, and a big way for us to do that is share all of those responsibilities with someone.

We have some interest from elsewhere, tho not here, yet. Our needs are not actually that sepcific, other than familiarity with lowland tropical agriculture and forestry, and having someone with some of the skills we need, coupled with a willingness to work and learn would be great.

It is going to pay a pitifully small amount, too :)lol:).... but they'd get to live here, free of cost, eat well, and be involved with something that (at least to us!) is pretty exciting...

Wish us luck, and do forward our contact info to anyone you think qould be suitable.

C

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Could the farm do with a Guitar toteing, party lovin, IT nerdy kinda geek person :rock: :partyman: I have muscles and stuff, so I'm good for heavy lifting :naka:
    Unfortunatly my brother got all the handy with a hammer skills :)..

As far as knowledge goes.. Dirt is dirt and stuff grows in it...

FAve saying "If you plant it , it will grow" :)

6. christopher

Dan the Man,

We could use all of those skills. And some more.

True, if you plant it it should grow....

But you just GOT your place, I saw it today, and it looks fabtastic, so, whaddaya wanna go do somthing like move to de jungle for, anyways? Whaddaya, nuts? Fugheddaboudit....

Party lovers will be bored stiff here....

But we could use muscles and stuff... as well as IT nerdy geek stuff....

Ya really interested? Or you just yankin' my chain?

C

7. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Paul Kean -Ringo- Junior Member

Christopher,

The job sounds great.I'm currently doing cert4 in Oz and would be interested.I have lots of practicle skills and cert4 in train/assessor plus calf.I don't speak spanish or know much about your area but am keen as hell to teach and willing to learn.Would you be able to fill the skopes for management diploma?

Cheers Ringo.

[email protected][/u]

8. christopher

Thanks for interest. We have now filled this position.

Christopher

9. mariet

mariet Junior Member

coordinator position

Hi Christopher, I hope the person who got the job really enjoys it. It sounds like the most amazing adventure you are having to be in such a place. I hope the new person loves the taste of fresh cocao too. I don't speak Spanish but I kind of feel spanish sometimes. Would this be the kind of place that someone with a severe crustacean allergy could go to? It's generally a bit dodgy for me to even entertain the thought of travelling overseas as my allergy means I have to cook everything myself and I dream of a place where everything is unprocessed, everyone cooks their own and there are no shellfish ANYWHERE!!!
    PS This ad of course gave a further itch to the itchy feet of all those now settled travellers who dream of having just another little adventure while they are also building up security in their own homes, gardens, etc. and thinking they won't go anywhere just yet. Just tugged on a few heartstrings. Maybe if you fill us in we will feel the sense of adventure from our living rooms. Thanks, Marie