Composting Worms For Sale

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Awesome :) Thank you Brian. I still need to get some tiny bits for the tub so I can close off the drain, then it's going to be filled with horse poo. Mine has gone rather dry and the fresh stuff is getting utilised by my dung beetles. It seems they have awoken out of their winter snooze and gone berzerk on the fresh horse poo.

If I fill the tub with the dry poo, fill the tub with water to soak the 'apples', then drain it off ... would that be okay or will I deprive the wrigglers of valuable nutrition?

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

That will be just perfect for them. Nice and damp then cover it up with old carpet and or newspapers.. Everything is drying out fast at the moment. My pond is dropping rather fast each week.

I will put in some bedding with eggs in it as I have a couple of beds that are breeding. They went into fresh bedding and it sparked a breeding flush so now there is hundreds of eggs. This is probably good as I will have to set up breeder beds again soon anyway.

3. briansworms

Hello Stubby,

Today I was packing down one of my breeding beds and it is full of eggs so I filled one of my tubs I use to sell to te pet shops with eggs and bedding. It is about the size of a 500gram butter tub. There would probably be a 100 or more eggs in there and I will pop it in the box with the worms. There is a potential for another thousand worms in there.

4. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Oh wow, thank you Brian. :):) I filled the bathtub up with horse poo today and then to the brim with water. It's stewing now. I will drain it tomorrow and use the 'soup' to spray onto one of my paddocks. Will be interesting to see if the poo settles so I can get another wheelbarrow full in. Only got one barrow full in... but it was very full ;).

5. briansworms

I got some poo today. It was easy as my daughter had picked it up and put it in a pile. It was fairly dry so I might put it through the garden shredder. That works a treat when dry but not so good when it is damp lol.

I spent ages picking out the Reds that snuck into my Africans bed. The buggers were laying in there so I had to pull everything out and give the Africans new bedding, The trouble is it is hard to spot 1 worm in among thousands. Hopefully I got most of the Reds out and the only eggs will be Africans if they ever lay. To be fair I did find some baby Africans. I am thinking that maybe Africans are not worth the trouble but will give them over Summer to come good. If they do I will set up heaters in their beds over next Winter.

6. briansworms

On mu website I have a link to this forum. Recently I had a tracker put on the site which tracks all sorts of stats. Most days the are people clicking on the link to this site and the others I have on there. Every bit helps I suppose.

7. briansworms

Stubby , we are packed ready to go to our new home. There is a tub in with us that has eggs and some small worms. These can just be put in with the rest of us. When we arrive please just put us in our new home and give us a few days to settle in before offering us any dinner. Thanks

from your Worms lol

Hello Stubby, I will email tomorrow night just to confirm that they are in the post. Thanks again for your order.

8. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Hi Worms :),

so looking forward to your arrival, and off course the eggies and little ones. The tub is filled to the brim with nice moist horse poo for you to start munching on, and a nice thick layer of hessian bags to keep you cosy. I will remember not to give you any more food for a few days until you are settled.

Cheers, your new mum ;).

Thank you Brian... I am really looking forward to the worms arrival. :)

9. briansworms

We are on our way. Posted at 9 am from Archerfield. Had to do a Brisbane run in the truck so they went for a ride.

Heard a very interesting thing on the radio today about the Eureka Science Awards. A young 12 yo discovered that if chooks are fed live worms they lay bigger eggs. He discovered this by accident then decided to test the theory and proved it true. He took out an award. Ok then if you own Chooks call Brians Worms to get bigger eggs.

10. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Hi Brian, I am holding myself back to see how many of the worms have survived the trip. There were no ants in the tub, but after about 30min of having the worms in the tub was crawling with ants. How do I get them out of there? There were a few more dead worms from the 1st bag :(... is that what attracted the ants? The casualties?

11. briansworms

For those who are wondering it looks like Aust Post workers had crushed the box the worms were sent in or handled it roughly. This had caused one bag of the two lots of worms to stress badly and the worms died in one bag. The smell given off could have caused the second bag to stress also which could lead to some losses in that bag too. The second bag when put into the bed moved down into the manure.

The ants would have responded to the smell of the stressed worms and will only attack the dead or dying worms. They should move on once they are gone. They wont touch healthy worms.

This is my first casualty so I am sending another lot of 2,000 worms. Unfortunately once they are in the post they are outside my control. They have travelled as far as Tasmania, Perth , North Qld and everywhere in between without incident.

12. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Thank you Brian, I was worried about the ants getting to the survivors. I find myself strangley attached to those beautiful little wriggerls, and feel a bit protective ;). Is there a way to 'revive' stressed worms?

Thank you Brian, you've been great:), and thank you for sending out another lot.

13. briansworms

I have never to to deal with stressed worms except when packing down for posting or into new beds they do froth a little but never a problem. Heat stress, I have read in the Worm Bible, that you put them in a bucket of cold water for about 3 minutes. This needs to be done quickly or they can all be lost. Heat stress will only happen if you are packing down large numbers as I do when it is very hot and you take too long to get them into the new bed or somewhere cooler.

I also believe it can happen in those Commercial type of worm farms with lids on them and out in the Sun. People have too little bedding in them to properly insulate the worms from the heat and they all die. This seemed to be a common thing when I talked to people at the markets. They were then reluctant to start again

Another thing I picked up from the Worm Bible is Coco Peat is often full of salt. So those Coir blocks that come with those farms needs to be rinsed very well before putting worms in there. Salt will kill worms.

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If there's a Worm Bible does that make you the Messiah Brian?

15. briansworms

Sorry Eco not me. Eric Wlson and Worm Farm Management.

16. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

17. briansworms

Sorry haven't read it. Reading the reviews it is aimed at the home composter. I cut and pasted this from the link

Reading Level: Ages 4-8
    Publisher: Flower Press
    Release date: November 1, 1997
    Language: English
    Shipping Weight: 9.44 ounces
    Number of Pages: 162 pages
    ISBN-10: 0942256107
    ISBN-13: 978-0942256109
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: 213,854

The book I have is aimed at serious worm farming and not home composting. It is a learning curve everyday. Google this and download the PDF.

Manual of On-Farm Vermicomposting and Vermiculture

By Glenn Munroe

Organic Agriculture Centre of Canada

18. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/Stupsi-Explains-Tree-Hedgehog-Language/dp/3923704224

Accessible, written for children, invaluable for any serious arborist. For example.

So, your book is different to that PDF? More detailed? The PDF states that food waste should be pre-composted, yet here I am, chucking it straight in. I suppose commercial operations can't rely on those factors messing up their finely-tuned operation.

19. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

20. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Thank you for the link Brian :).