Black Soldier Fly

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sunnyslopes, Aug 17, 2008.

1. sunnyslopes

sunnyslopes Junior Member

Does anyone have any experience with the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_soldier_fly

I live in Central Florida and I am very interested in the BSF and it's larvae in permaculture. I have a nice colony under my quail cages and look forward to using these little guys in the garden. I have also noticed they have a fondness for stinky garbage and dung. Which is a good thing when the compost heap gets untidy. I know it's not summer in Australia and the BSF seems to be a hot weather and high humidity creature. Hopefully we can put together some useful infomation for all of us.

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Black Soldier Fly

What is your purpose? Feeding the larvae to chickens or something?

Sue

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Sunny,

We do have native variants of the soldier fly in Australia. I dont think we have the BSF but its use in Permaculture will give us a huge tool to add to what we do.

I researched the BSF when I ran a tip here in Oz [you call them a dump].

cheers,

4. sunnyslopes

sunnyslopes Junior Member

I am presently using the BSF larvae as feed supplement for the 5 quail that I have in cages. The BSF larvae are marketed as feed for reptile pets, and for some fish. I hope to provide some to the local herp pet store soon. I have put some in the garden as a soil amendment. I suspect that the metabolism of the BSF larvae is so high that it cooks the roots. I will keep observing and try more experiments. I have noticed that the redworm composter turns into a BSF hatchery when the temperature gets too hot for Eisenia foetida as I discribed in my previous post.

5. Waehner

Waehner Junior Member

I let my chickens eat soldier fly larvae. They love them. I keep my compost bin inside the chicken pen so any escaping bugs will be eaten, and I knock the bin over to let the hens debug and turn the compost.

Soldier flys provide a valuable service- when compost gets too wet for oxygen to permeate, they slurp up the liquid and bring oxygen in with their motion.

Of course, it is possible to manage the compost more closely to prevent dampness. The flies may take some nutrients away when they fly away, but they also provide high protein chicken feed.

6. G.W.

G.W. New Member

Hi all.

I've been working with black soldier fly larvae for two seasons and I also have a blog devoted to them. I found this forum while searching for BSF info and I would like to offer my perspective on the topic.

Sunnyslopes, I don't think you will get any benefit from adding BSF larvae to your garden. BSF don't live in soil as a rule and only concentrate on desirable food sources like rotting fruit and vegetables. I believe any larvae that you might add to the soil will crawl to the surface and roam in search of decaying food. You're absolutely correct about BSF preferring hot and humid conditions. BSF become sluggish when the temperature drops below 25ºC/77ºF and the larvae lose weight when the humidity drops below 75%.

Waehner, adult BSF will not remove any nutrients from compost because they don't eat in the few days they live in that stage. As adults they live off of stored fat. I realize you didn't mention this as a significant issue, but I thought there might be some interest about related BSF habits and life cycle.

I look forward to reading the articles and threads here, and I will subscribe to this thread in case anyone cares to discuss BSF more.

Jerry

7. Waehner

Waehner Junior Member

Jerry, your blog rocks. I found the link via google. For others interested it is blacksoldierflyblog.com

I had been thinking that BSF’s were a more appropriate compost helper for warm climates than manure worms. Good to see you’ve done some research on the subject. I’m sure I will adopt some of your methods.

I have an amusing BSF story: A friend of mine lost track of a damp loofah sponge on a shelf in her bathroom. A small clutch of soldier fly larvae developed in the sponge. One of them fell into the toilet, and she didn’t notice it until after she had finished using it. She panicked, thinking it was a dreadful intestinal worm, fished the larvae out from the toilet full of poo, and rushed to the doctor with it. The doctor knew right away it wasn’t a parasite, and referred her to the university entomology dept. It took several days to get the larvae to the entomologist, and it swam around happily in the vodka they used to preserve it.

It makes sense that soldier flies have an ability to metabolize alcohol, since they live on anaerobic fermenting compost.

8. G.W.

G.W. New Member

Well I guess that makes sense! :D

In one test a BSF larva survived 2 hours submerged in isopropyl alcohol so I imagine vodka would be a luxury in comparison. I've experimented with raising the larvae on a diet of wet cornmeal and at times it can get a little alcoholic. I always imagine a great party taking place in the colony. Not only do the larvae tolerate alcohol, but they are highly attracted to coffee grounds. It makes me wonder if they would appreciate an occasional cigarette. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words about my efforts, it's been a very rewarding hobby for me.

Your BSF story is interesting because it's unusual for BSF to enter a house. Still, I can see how the smell of a damp loofah would attract them, and given access like an open window it would only take one female to start a nice little colony. In the two summers that I've cultured BSF I've released 10's of thousands of mature larvae on my property and I've yet to find one in the house which is less than 100 feet/30 meters away. Sometimes I'll find a newly emerged adult in my trailer office, but I often work with the larvae there so it's reasonable that some occasionally crawl off unnoticed and pupate. I enjoy catching the young adults and putting them outside, especially when one pauses to take a quick bath before leaving my hand.

9. Circle3

Circle3 New Member

Yes Black Soldier Fly do exist in Australia and are currently being harvested for feeding fish and chickens.

See www.circle3.com for an update on Australian Activities with the BSF and the use of a BioPod for harvesting the larvae.

10. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Circle3,

Even if you dont have anything else [and I know you do] your website opening page and photo was the most interesting page I can remember opening. I have forwarded it on to all sorts of friends, family and netbudddies. I doubt many of them have previously known anything about BSF or have ever considered the issue.

Congrats...

ho-hum

11. Circle3

Circle3 New Member

Ho Hum,

I am blushing..... Thanks for the great feedback on our pages on BioPods and Black Soldier Flys.

We are working to get as much information out on the topic as possible. Our next two big projects are to bring on line commercial growers of larvae and to start a recipe collection for use of the larvae as animal, fish and human food. Watch for the next installments on the page for some ideas....

David

12. Hamishmac

Hamishmac Junior Member

I'd be grateful for further enlightenment from a source in the know, if possible.

Based on the Sunshine Coast, no chooks or other animals/ fish who would use BSF larvae.

Definitely not vegetarian. Septic system.

Current system is multiple composting bins at various stages & a worm farm in a bathtub:

inputs: household veggie scraps, garden waste.

outputs: compost, worm castings, worm liquid extract.

"wasted" inputs ie pollutants: meat & dairy residues. cat turds.

Would the addition of BSF to the system allow use of the meat residues? At what cost...would overall quantity of worm castings reduce as BSF eat everything, get fat & crawl off to pupate, breed & die elsewhere as I can't (yet) use them? Or could I use the BSF for the meat residues alone and not for any of the veggie scraps and freeze the pre-pupated larvae for use as Xmas gifts for chook-owning permies (some negotiation and approval on freezer use may be required here)?

How do the efficiencies stack up for me? Help appreciated.

Hamish