Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Mungbeans, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

2. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

Re: Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits.

Google is your friend.
    I found this on another site somewhere.
    "Juniper Berries Substitutes
    1 teaspoon gin for every 2 berries
    or
    equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seeds."

"Thanks for the thought Britcook but in my frustration I've already finished that off!

Anyway, in my searching I found that myrtle berries could be substituted, if I had those which I don't, or I can resort to what the juniper berries had originally been a substitute for, bay leaves.

taken from some obscure site:
    "6-12 juniper berries, mashed (or substitute a crushed bay leaf)""

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The local organic fruit and vege shop up the road from me stocks dried juniper berries. Save the gin and put it in the cook rather than the cooking!

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Gin is an old remedy for gout. (Its original use)
    Cheaper gins now have "juniper flavour" (WTI) instead of juniper berries added.
    You often see Junipers used in boring public landscaping. Old plants are usually covered in free berries.

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

I think that's cruel to do to a wild animal. Also I think it would change the biochemistry of the meat if you cage a wild animal.

If you are rural, you should be able to find out from your neighbours and the local authorities if there has been any poison laid recently. I'd be less concerned about 1080 (didn't realise you used that in oz :-( ) than the slow acting poisons that farmers use. 1080 is pretty quick. I think you can check the liver too to see if the rabbit is healthy. Not sure what to look for (spots maybe) but you could probably find that info on line.

Cooking rabbit, esp older rabbits, the trick is to cook slowly. You don't want a high heat if you are stewing. And don't cook too long. It's very yummy and worth getting right.

6. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

If it was kept somewhere quiet and very dark it probably wouldn't stress it very much. Rabbits live in dark burrows most of the time after all. I agree keeping it somewhere outside where it is noisy would probably not be for the best.

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Hmmm, maybe. But rabbits are also good at digging out of dark places if they get trapped, so I think being in a wire cage for a few days, even in the dark, would be pretty stressful.

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

I am with pebble on this one: Please try to kill all wild (even if they are feral) animals very soon after capture.

Concerning 1080, and any other nasties your wild bunnies may have dined on, prior to you dining on them:

Yes, 1080 will kill reasonably quick (but only at the full dose - say, 2-3 'carrots'). If for whatever reason the bunny was disturbed while eating the bait, he/she may only have had a nibble. Always ensure (to the best of your ability) that your wild harvested game is 'clean'.

1080 is a controlled substance, as such you can always check with your local Dept. of Ag and/or Enviro to see if they have a baiting program happening in your area. They bait for a lot of 'ferals' - foxs, dogs and such.

Concerning Myxomatosis: From my old days (10-year-old kid, 30-years ago) as a 'big white hunter' (steel-jawed traps - what were we ever thinking of?), I seem to remember that 'Myxo', in it's early stages, could be detected by the presence of 'white spots' on the liver of the rabbit. When they really 'had it', their eyes would be puss-filled, and they would be a staggering mess.

Don't know anything much about detecting the early effects of calicivirus, so I can't help there.

Oh, and all those links I posted in my first response, they really are a valuable resource (particularly in reference to the rabbits of NSW).

Cheerio, Markus.

9. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

I reckon you could chuck a few rabbit carcasses in your thermophilic compost heap. Despite some claims that you shouldn't put meat in your compost, I've seen the fast compost (Berkley) method disolve a small road-kill wallaby to nothing in 2 weeks, so a rabbit or two would be no problem.

10. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Alex, this assumes my composting efforts are any good. I only started my first compost heap yesterday. We will have to wait a week to see if I'm any good at this.