Call to PDC holders who are coders

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by wanderingfree, Jan 9, 2021.

1. wanderingfree

wanderingfree Junior Member

Climate:
    At present: Tropical
    For a while now I've been thinking about writing software tools related to permaculture design.
    A lot, like solar position apps exist already but without useful permaculture-related features.

Apart from tools, I am now giving some serious thought to a decentralised network and database.
    It must be built around existing protocol(s), e.g. ActivityPub (though I'm not yet sure this is the correct fit), or IPFS perhaps.

The idea is to build a clean backend initially, that can be federated.
    Multiple front ends should then be possible, be they for mobile, desktop, etc.

I envision multiple servers being run by many parties all over the world, where they can host their own data, but also link to other compatible servers, and/or mirror their data.

A good example use would be localised plant and climate data (potentially to the level of an individual just keeping track of their personal property), but that can feed out to a decentralised network and thus be accessible by anyone else.
    Working with https://pfaf.org for instance, to be compatible with their plant database could also be ideal starting points.

My current feeling is that it could be modelled around the structure of the designers manual - from patterning, through to plants, housing, infrastructure, legal and community.

I'm looking for people to discuss this with, and solidify some ideas/approaches, and then to get coding.

Some pre-requisite agreements would be that all code shall be open source, likely GPL-2.
    Open to patreon and such, or discussion for potentially revenue streams - money would be useful, but is not the driving focus.

Data security would also be a concern - part of the reason to be decentralised is that everyone owns their own data, and only shares what they choose to - with fair warnings that nothing is ever 100% secure.

So, anyone interested in talking more deeply about this? :)
    If you've got questions, ask away.

Christine Francis likes this.
  2. Wild Apple Farm

Wild Apple Farm New Member

Climate:
    Warm temperate in Box Gum Grassy Woodlands country
    Hey WF,

I too have been thinking about permaculture tools. My initial thoughts being simple design software for property layouts that brought in external sources (like pfaf for plant sizing/density options, or GIS for contours). Reason being the current tools I use, Inkscape & Gimp are just over the top for what's necessary.

Kind of struggling to see further use cases for the architecture you describe as I haven't focussed on it but happy to discuss more.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    grantvdm likes this.
  3. wanderingfree

Climate:
    Nice. Exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

What I'm wondering, with all this talk of decentralisation/federation, is whether we can build a backend that uses a "standard" protocol, such that these tools have some further interoperability.

e.g. I figured when I manage to finish my solar position tool, it can use angles of soltices to determine how wide the eaves should be on a house, for temperate and cooler climates - or the percentage of glass that might be on the sun-facing side (again, for cooler climates).

I'm not a big believer in one program that "solves" all issues - there may be a path here where multiple tools can simply share their data in a consistent fashion.

Also, more specifically about my interest in federating, would be that people or small groups/communities can host their own server, building up a localised database; e.g. recording changes over time (plant responding particularly well to a wet year, or another to a hot year), documenting local guilds of plants that work, or even just local pioneer species, or animal husbandry techniques, etc.

If these people then hear about other servers in other parts of the world, they can simply 'add them' to their own, akin to adding a "friend" in the social media evil.
    From that point, the servers will share their data (or any data marked as shareable).

Does that make more sense?

Definitely more discussion and clarity required.

grantvdm likes this.
  4. wanderingfree

Climate:
    so to jump back to your example, your program may feed from plant data from varying sources, but could also give back design ideas (assuming you wanted to share - with any appropriate copyright); even if it was simply some meta-data tags that mark a design as 'temperate', 'orchard', 'apple guild', 'steep', 'terrace', 'n-hemisphere', '100m-alt' (as an off-the-top-of-my-head thought).

Then anyone searching, e.g. in a plant database (that federated with your tool) could search for apple trees, and along with all the normal data, find a link to your tool with a loaded design.

Not saying this is a path you would want to take, just playing with your example.

grantvdm and Wild Apple Farm like this.
  5. grantvdm

grantvdm Junior Member

Metallurgist
    Great Stuff!

I have had similar thoughts, but not at all coding inclined. Let us know how things progress! This would be revolutionary in the field of permaculture design!

6. Wild Apple Farm

Wild Apple Farm New Member

Climate:
    Warm temperate in Box Gum Grassy Woodlands country
    I restumbled on farmos.org today. Perhaps using this as a base and utilising their modules system might be an idea? Relevant link.

7. wanderingfree

Climate:
    Well, I've had my head elsewhere for a while, but still thinking about this project from time to time.

I'm wondering; how might we start simply?
    Maybe with a selection process, starting with what people actually want perhaps.

So, first up, what tools would you all like as permaculture designers, teachers, researchers?
    Ideally we have a way that the output of any of these tools can be used easily in our work, or potentially among the tools themselves.

I'll start with my initial ideas:

1. 2d/3d visualisation of solar movement through the year
      1. very minimal; only the basic features we want as designers; no clutter
      2. shadow calcs: with focus on permaculture use, e.g. roof overhang
    2. Pattern tool collection
      1. random assemblies
      2. swale spacing: based on tree height and slope
      3. treeline spacing: based on tree height and eckman
      4. other?
    3. Plant database
    4. Social platform
      1. Built on top of plant db
      2. Sharing experiences
      3. Focussed on practical, not social data

If there's enough feedback, then we can come to some consensus on practical starting point

8. wanderingfree

Climate:
    Thanks for these links by the way, and soory for an excessively belated response.

There is some potential here. I think for now we might start simply, but keep systems like this in mind during the process, such that we can keep things as compatible as possible.

I'm tempted to work with other systems, but not sure whether to use them as a base to work from. There is too much heavy software out there that tries to do too much, or does more than necessary for a given use-case.

We need nice, fast, lightweight, low energy consuming tools :)