Hello from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by KVee, Apr 28, 2016.

1. KVee

KVee New Member

Climate:
    Melbourne Climate
    Hi all,

I've just started my hunt for a suitable property outside of Melbourne, not proving easy, but I'll get there in the end I'm sure.

Looking forward to building, then growing..... plan is for heaps of dams / swales, some ducks and chooks, 2 goats, a dog and maybe a wife too :p

All the best.

Kvee

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Kvee and welcome,
    You've seen Geoff Lawton's video about selecting a property? Not sure he's put one out yet regarding wife selection though ...
    = )

3. dynnyrne

dynnyrne New Member

Climate:
    Warm and Temperate
    Hi! We're moving back to the Melbourne area next year (currently expats in the US) and we're looking to move out and get our little piece of permaculture heaven going. We're looking in the Macedon Ranges area- where are you looking? I'm a real estate junkie and always trawling the postings... would love to hear what limitations you've come up against so far.

4. KVee

KVee New Member

Climate:
    Melbourne Climate
    Hey there.

Well I can't say my experience has been great so far.

The many councils I've spoken too haven't been so supportive. There are many many restrictions around setting up and building a new home, let alone a permaculture designed one.

The costs associated with the process have made suburb living seem more attractive now. I'm kind of glad I've explored this avenue, I now know, unless you have some serious cash behind you, know the right people, it's pretty much a dangerous game.

You could end up with land that you aren't allowed to do anything with. Zoning and building council covenants present the main problem. The red tape is beyond belief. I had no idea the degree of influence and control they have on "your" land...... Now I'm back to considering a dog box in the CBD built from fire prone material courtesy of a bribed council and developer from a far away land........

A lot of what you read about people setting up is historical. A lot of local laws and state laws have come in over the last five years to make land more scarce, hence protect property prices and keep the ponzi running full steam. They have pretty much closed the gap or loop hole of just buying cheap rural land and building...... its now a huge due diligence process that you ideally use a town planner who is cosy with the council, otherwise your best bet is to run for local mayor and push your own reform through, like most realty business leaders have done.

The system is broken, and its designed this way for a reason. Protect property prices.

5. dynnyrne

dynnyrne New Member

Climate:
    Warm and Temperate
    Oh wow :(

I haven't gotten that deep into it. I would love to build an awesome eco-home and I am aware that brings up a lot of planning issues but for our upcoming purchase we'll likely buy a house already built so I haven't gone that deep.

I did look in the Geelong area for land and found that had a farming zone that meant the land had to be used for agriculture so I guess you would have crazy battles about doing permaculture on it. So rubbish!

6. new.beginning

new.beginning New Member

Hi Kvee,
    I know exactly what you mean about the bureaucracy around purchasing a property in Victoria. In the past couple of years I have become very familiar with the Victorian planning schema and there is some hope. But your have to be very careful as each of the councils have there own amendments to it specific for there areas. But as general rule for vacant land you need to look at less than 5 Ac or greater the 100 Ac if it is zoned farming. If its not zoned farming you will run a big risk of not being able to do what your planning. If you buy land that already has a house established on it you can find properties of any acreage as most have built prior to the tightening of the planning schema, downside is that you don't get to build your dream and you pay extra for the developed property.
    The other thing that i have found is a number of the councils closer to Melbourne are not very predisposed towards some of the farming techniques permies would apply. This will obviously depend on what your plans are if your looking at just gardening and veg farming you will be fine but once you start looking at stock they can become very negative.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016