Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    When do chickens start to need a perch? 
    Ii've got one hen and four chickens. I think they are about 4- 6 weeks old now. I haven't yet built a roosting perch in the chicken house and just want to know how old chickens are when they want to be perching. And also the hen, when will she want to get back on her perch.

At the moment they are all sleeping together in the nest still but i've noticed that during the day sometimes the little ones jump up on the ladder that is leaning up against the chook house and one has started to fluff its wings a bit as if trying to fly.

The mum's wing has been clipped too. I am not sure how long it will be til the wing grows back enough for her to get up to a perch. Does anyone know?

2. Collapse Details

I'd leave it up to the chickens. Just put something in with them that represents a perch, when they start jumping up on it, might be time to attach something more permanent.
    Eric J Smith
    My PRO Gardener |

3. Collapse Details

I guess tha's a reasonable idea. I have a look around for something. I still haven't built them a roof yet. They will need a roof when they get their perch.

4. Collapse Details

hiya sun burn...........

Chicks will usually climb over all sorts of things as they grow older,untill one day they decide to hop up onto a branch or something that gets em off the ground.....Its normal to roost,but babies cant jump much untill they bigger,as their legs arnt strong enough to jump hights or land from hights...

Apparently if they roost too long it causes a misshapening of the breast (keel i think) bone.

chooks poo when they sleep/roost so its important to teach all the birds to "perch at night" Usually teach a few and rest learn from the others,The/A rooster will normally order his girls to follow him up to roost with him.....

Ive asked chook judges and they say perches can be 3x2 wood will do for them..nothing bigger.... skinny poles are ok for smaller breeds or birds, but average medium sized chook(average hen) require the 3x2 ,they dont need to be up high,and shouldnt be hard for them to jump up or down, without hurting themselves

I only clip chook wings at last resort,or for those habitual jumpers....... Nature gave them wings,its not up to us mere humans to think we no better and clip them....Wings are for self defence and to evade capture from predators,u clip em its like cutting of a leg from a human,only a human leg or arm dont grow back again.... clipped chooks look scruffy aswell lol.but do grow again eventually though..

you may find mum will start leaving the babies for longer and longer as they get older,after 6/8 weeks mum usually dumps em and will start laying again.....the babes will find their own hidy spots and will probly learn of the others or mum as to when its time and how to get up that high to roost.....IF babes cant keep up with mum for first 6/8 weeks(seasons depending) they will die of cold or lack of food....

Its amazing how a new mum just knows how too look after her brood......They dont suffer post natal depression either,lolol

Tezza
    "Permaculture. Just Do It"
    Available to teach various Permie Subjects
    Allmost 24 years experience
    Living in over 1 acre town suburban block
    Proud Member Posting in the "Worldwide Permaculture Network"
    under "Bandicoothights"

5. Collapse Details

I was hoping/thinking the mum would teach them about roosting. Oh well. She's a great mum! It seems i've only got on rooster out of four so I can't be too unhappy with. I think i will keep him as long as possible before people start to complain and then it will be off with his head, poor thing.

I think we clipped her wing because she was coming to a new home.

The ducks needed it too.

but with either of them, you can't tell they've been clipped unless they open their wings to fluff them.

For now, I've put a step ladder in the pen for them to "play" on.

6. Collapse Details

dont loose no sleep over it Sunny.. lol.Im sure theyll get the hang of it,somehow ,sometime ...

If they dont by time they getting full size, i suggest you place em on perches in the dark,and let em learn the trick to not tot fall off, during the night..

Poultry arnt exactly dumb buggers they been around longer then us stupid dumb bumb humans....

Tezza
    under "Bandicoothights"

7. Collapse Details

so long as something is there for them to perch on they'll eventually do it
    The universe is my eyes and ears, all else is hearsay.

http://opinonated-bastard.blogspot.com/

8. Collapse Details

I have provided what I thought was a great perch for my four chooks but they all prefer to roost in their two nest boxes. This means that their eggs are usually covered in shit. Can anyone suggest how I can get them to sleep on their perch instead of their nest?

9. Collapse Details

Simple Hawky. Remove the nest for a week... and put the chooks on perch everynight to make em use it ....Do it as its just on dark,They stuffed in dark..holdem up n place on the perch untill they grip with their feet,removing nest stops em from sleeping there,so in effect they gota sleepelse where coz there beds gone lol.be quick coz they fill choose another place if u dont do it 4 them....
    Dont have there perches up to high either 3/4 foot is probly ideal... Chooks are like me.They dont like Higher Purchase . high perches

Tezza
    Ex Kwinana permie.
    under "Bandicoothights"

10. Collapse Details

I understand that as a breed Chinese silkies are less likely perch even if one is available.
    : )
    Sue