Notices

Thread: sour tangerine

1. Collapse Details
    sour tangerine 
    Tangerines are suppose to be sweet, yes?
    Mine are sour ... & were last year also. Not sure what variety it is. The tree & the fruit look healthy & there were loads of tangerines ... all sour
    The navel orange only a few meters away is delicious.
    I tried them before, during & after the frosts ... no change.
    Any suggestions?
    "Every day is a journey & the journey itself is home." Matsuo Basho

2. Collapse Details

tangerines are a cross of grapefruit - - if yours is a seedling that might be why it is sour

and yes they are a sweet fruit

http://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/alphabetical.html might give you an idea of what you have

or http://www.citrusnorth.com/ could help you - a USA group excellent about anything citrus
    The universe is my eyes and ears, all else is hearsay.

http://opinonated-bastard.blogspot.com/

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the response paradisi.
    I thought they were orange/mandarine cross?

Mine is grafted ... not sure what it is ... will check the links you provided.

4. Collapse Details

Helen,

As a kid I grew up in an irrigation district with a lot of commercial citrus growers. Nearly all of them had odd trees of diff species of citrus and I cant ever remember a tangerine being sweet. I wonder if our aussie tangerines are different to the north american ones. I havent tried any since I was a child for this reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine this is the wiki link and it talks about tangerines being sweet. I also looked up tangelo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangelo and these look a lot more like the 'tangerines' I tried as a kid. I also saw 'tangerines' sold in Indonesia that were probably tangelos.

Now I am confused. Although last year I spent an evening in citrus packing house near Mildura and two or three growers were discussing commercial varieties of orange that I had never heard of so nothing ever stays the same. I could only chime in when they were discussing mango varieties. Mangoes were never grown that far south until the '90s.

cheers,
    mike, Katherine NT in the hot dry tropical savannah bit of Australia.

5. Collapse Details

I just went outside to get a few tangerines to compare to the pictures you posted floot & thought I might as well taste test one while I was out there seeing as they're very juicy ... & bugger me dead ... they're sweet! Not as sweet as the navel orange next to it, but it's a particularly nice orange. They're as sweet as a store bought Mandarine, but with a better flavour than store bought.
    I guess they just weren't ripe before now ... what a bummer - I threw about 3 dozen of them in the compost day before yesterday!

6. Collapse Details

Welcome back to the board paradissi It is nice to see you and ho hum on the same page again.
    Great thing Helen - do you still have plenty on the tree?
    Purple Pear Farm
    www.purplepearfarm.com.au
    http://www.facebook.com/PurplePearFarm
    Permaculture Education and Community Supported Agriculture
    INTENT-OBSERVATION-INTUITION

7. Collapse Details

do you still have plenty on the tree?
    Yeah, but not as many as I did before I cut all those off & threw them in the compost!!!! (And to make matters worse, the navel orange just finished.) I figured I might as well short circuit the process seeing as the currawongs were just going to get them & throw them on the ground & I'd have to pick them all up & put them in the bin. So I just sawed off whole branches!!! (I wanted the bottom branches removed anyway - they were hanging almost to the ground with the weight of the fruit. The little tree was laden.)

I'm a bit suspicious about this ... I only ate one ... I wonder if I just lucked out on a sweet one? It seems odd they could sweeten up so fast - I'm sure it wasn't that long ago I tried them last. I'll go out in the morning & try a few more & report

8. Collapse Details

Quick!!!!
    Pull'em out again.
    If they only went in a couple of days ago they might still be okay.....
    unless you put something smelly,wet an brown on top of them
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it...
    www.photoblog.com/mischief

Chapter one:mischief at large. two:Round two. three: Guilding the garden. four:2013.

9. Collapse Details

unless you put something smelly,wet an brown on top of them

Hi mischief ... nothing on top of them, but there's a dead paddymelon under them somewhere! ... I'll check it out in the morning ... they have pretty thick skins so maybe they're not too stinky! (the tangerines ... not the paddymelon who definitely is VERY stinky).