Notices

1. Collapse Details
    Root Vegetable Diet in Yuzurihara, Japan 
    Coastal California, (Mediterranean climate)
    Anyone been following the dietary habits of these long-lived people in Japan? No meat, no dairy, a large variety of root vegetables, buckwheat noodles, barley, azuki beans. I wish I could find more specifics about what they are growing:

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/pdf_news/joint_c.pdf

and for those of us who have composting toilets, any article that starts out like this has my attention

"The Fecal microflora of 15 healthy elderly persons with a median age of 84 years in a rural area whose inhabitants tend to be long-lived (Yuzurihara-area, Uenohara, Yamanashi Prefecture) was compared with the microflora of individuals with a median age of 68 years in an urban area (Tokyo). The diet of the elderly persons in the Yuzurihara area is characterized by a high intake of dietary fiber. Total numbers of anaerobic bacteria were significantly smaller in the elderly persons in the Yuzurihara area than those in the Tokyo area. A significantly large number of bifidobacteria, but not of lecithinase-negative clostridia, was observed in the elderly persons in the Yuzurihara area."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC184260/
    Last edited by sweetpea; 30-08-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    "Life flows on within you and without you"...George Harrison
    ~~~~~~
    Coastal California, USA, Mediterranean climate - no summer rain, a little frost mid-winter

2. Collapse Details

Looks interesting, I'll have a fuller read when I get the chance.

They do eat fish btw. And I'd be surprised if there is no meat in their diet traditionally. It's more likely that they eat or ate small amounts than none at all.

3. Collapse Details

This is a story which has been in the media for a long time. This is the typical outcome of this kind of study. They find that their nutrition is different and that they are healthier hence it must be the low meat diet or low whatever diet. This might be a reason, or it might not be a reason. It might be their mindset, their genes, the way they work or simply a clean environment or maybe everything together.
    Our traditional diets in the Western world do contain a lot of animal products and I guess if you would change your diet and eat like them you would do more harm than good to yourself. (that does not mean that pizza and hamburger is good for you either)

4. Collapse Details

Coastal California, (Mediterranean climate)
    It was actually the vegetables that seemed interesting, growing a bigger and different variety than we have here in the States, bitter melon, dark purple yams, turnips, in addition to barley, buckwheat for buckwheat noodles, azuki beans, radishes...it just has me looking at root vegetables again and seeing what other cultures are doing with them.
    "Life flows on within you and without you"...George Harrison
    ~~~~~~
    Coastal California, USA, Mediterranean climate - no summer rain, a little frost mid-winter