Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    can you grow coconuts around brisbane 
    Gday everyone.

Does anyone know if coconuts successfully grow near brisbane? I am near samford, which gets a little cooler than coastal brisbane.
    By successfully.. if I'm going to plant them i'd rather like to think I'll get them to fruit.

thanks

2. Collapse Details

I've never tried - but on reflection I've never seen a coconut tree with fruit on it on the Sunshine Coast. Mackay yes... here no.

3. Collapse Details

I saw them growing with nuts on recently at woodgate which is not too far from brizzy.the nuts were small but it was a dry year.I have got dwarf coconuts growing but they are still babies so no fruit for a few years at least.
    the end of suffering comes from the living of joy!

4. Collapse Details

Group for banned users
    north of gympie sunshine coast area.s/e qld
    g'day ppp,

in short yes.

the best variety dwark malay golden cocnut, you need to be sure you are buying genetically pure plants or very easily you will ed up buying X-ed up palms i have a nth qld contact who guarantees his stock.

remember duty of care don't plant them when nuts could fall and damage/injure oterh public even those walkig up to yor front door.

len

5. Collapse Details

thanks for that len, yes, interesting to read one report that in one of our northern island nations 2.5% of all hospital admissions are related to falling coconuts!
    (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6502774)

So, how many coconuts have you managed? Also, do you mind sharing the nth qld contact?

Anyone else on the forum.. I'd be pleased to source plants more locally..?

6. Collapse Details

yerse grow very well on the sunshine coast - a neighbour had to cut his down - the metre thick trunk was a bit too big and the 50kg palm fronds threatened to kill
    The universe is my eyes and ears, all else is hearsay.

http://opinonated-bastard.blogspot.com/

7. Collapse Details

thanks paradisi

does anyone have experience with propogating coconuts? It seems like a big "seed" to plant!

8. Collapse Details

I got mine from-http://www.cactusisland.com.au/products.php?catid=36&category=Coconuts
    as shot seedlings.But my neighbour bought some back from a beach and I planted them or rather half planted them into straight sand,and they have shot and seem to be growing well,Its hard to tell as they have enough energy to shoot and grow for a year regardless.I am planting them around the dam and will try to get them to lean over the water for safety reasons.
    the cactus island people told me to soak the nuts in seaweed soloution then keep in the shade for the first two years apparently they make good indor plants for the first few years.Make sure you give them exelent drainage.
    the end of suffering comes from the living of joy!

9. Collapse Details

$33 per plant, ouch.
    I'm patient, has anyone been successful with a green-grocer bought coconut, or does anyone have one or two of them I could give the seaweed solution and plant a go with?

10. Collapse Details

Group for banned users
    north of gympie sunshine coast area.s/e qld
    g'day ppp,

i'll send details via pm.

i don't ahve room for them they are a large palm.

you can grow them from the nut easily we did accidently once just sat the nut on the ground for visual effect surrounded it with mulch and it grew, too easy.

now i suggested only grow the dwarf malay golen the main reason they are not very tall when they srrat producing, so it is very easy to pick nuts yes they will grow tall like the others eventually but slowly. that also brings the issue if you got a cocnut with its husk still on you have no idea if tht is a common nut or a malay golden or a X, there layeth the problem. all nuts i have seen sprouted have complete husk on.

this fellow from up north will sell nuts as far as i know, and no doubt he will instruct as well.

you will be well rewarded seeking the right plant.

len