Notices

1. Collapse Details
    Duck is sitting on chicken eggs? 
    My muscovy duck is sitting on her first eggs, and they include some chooks eggs. And the chooks keep depositing their new eggs in with her as well? I figure I'll have to separate them to stop this continuing? I don't have another fox proof shed and things are quite complicated right now as you'll see if you read further, but I guess this is necessary or she'll be sitting on many, many eggs!
    Do I leave the already laid chooks eggs with her hoping she'll hatch them? What happens then? Can she raise both ducklings and chicks? I don't have a broody hen at the moment. And my final question - it's getting cold at night. Will the babies be okay with mum in the warm chook house and orchard (during the day) with the rest of the chooks and father duck, or do I need separate warmer accommodation. My own mum's very ill and i have to go overseas for a couple months. Not sure how to leave it set up for my housesitter to look after without being too complicated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Duck is sitting on chicken eggs? 
    Hiya,

You have a few issues here. Ducks do not successfully raise chickens due to their lumbering habit and weight, they also dont know how to call the chicks for food.

1. Leave the existing eggs under her and do not let the chooks lay there again.
    2. As the chickens hatch, they should be removed and hand raised.
    3. Put a wire crate over the muscovy and give her a pot of water to play with till at least lunchtime so the chooks will have layed elsewhere.
    4. Create a really nice box type nest for the chooks and elevate by about 500mm [over the top of the muscovy will be fine].
    5. If the chooks are laying in the duck nest I fancy the muscovy is still laying so is off the nest for part of the day [or they are laying beside her and she is pulling the eggs under her.
    6. Chook eggs take from 19-22 days to hatch, muscovy eggs take at least 30 [from memory] so the chickens will be very mobile by the time the ducklings arrive, if they survive.

Sorry, to hear that your mum is sick and you have to go away. I would recommend you purchase a commercial type chook tractor and park it at a friends place whilst you are away. It is too hard to ask people to call round indefinitely, even wonderful next door neighbours. Or sell them off and repurchase when you get back.

cheers,

3. Collapse Details
    Have a chick at the moment that was hatched by a muscovy. Also had one that hatched and then died. I would have had more, except I tried to move the nest while they were nesting, which did not work out. In my experience if it's not theirs they won't look after it when it hatches, although I have heard of ducks sitting only on chook eggs who have then raised them, having no more to sit on. Apparently the mother looked quite confused.

4. Collapse Details
    What I didnt point out in the earlier post is that chooks quite happily raise ducklings, keets, goslings etc. However, they do go crazy when the little ones dive into a water container or pond and start swimming round!! :shock:

5. Collapse Details
    If you can't exclude the chooks just mark the eggs that are there at the moment and remove any new eggs.
    Remove chicks when they hatch as mentioned previously. you can keep them in a box with a light to keep them warm
    studioGREEN Architects
    www.studiogreen.com.au

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks so much for your replies, especially the detailed notes from ho-hum. Seems all the hens wanted to crowd into the one laying box with the duck, even though others available, but I transferred some marked hens eggs into the other boxes and they're using those boxes now. I'll leave the hen's eggs that were already there with the duck, and hope that my son, who's coming to mind things, can raise them.

Do you think there's any problems with letting the duck raise her ducklings along side chickens, if I hand raise the chicks from the hens eggs? I don't have 2 pens at the moment.

If I do manage to get a separate pen together, can I move the mother duck and her eggs to a new pen without putting her off? the nesting box is a lawnmower catcher, so easy to move without disturbing things too much.

7. Collapse Details
    Do you think there's any problems with letting the duck raise her ducklings along side chickens, if I hand raise the chicks from the hens eggs? I don't have 2 pens at the moment.
    It depends on a lot of things, particularly, the size of the pen. I assume you have a rooster and a muscovy drake in with your poultry mix neither of these are little one friendly. If you must keep the flock together I would remove the males when the little ones hatch as hens/ducks tend to be less rough on stray little ones. Ideally though you would remove them all [mother and offspring] after hatching and let them get a few weeks under their belt before reintroducing them to the flock.

On the ducklings/chickens issue I havent had a problem as long as the duck is gentle and doesnt grab the chickens. With any luck one of the hens will now go broody and you can transfer the eggs to her.

cheers,