Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tree ringing to kill encroaching walnut trees?? 
    Over the years, the neighborhood squirrels have planted a number of walnuts in my yard they gathered from across the street. Initially, I thought it was great they'd plant a food producing tree for me. :lol: Problem is though, they planted some of them at the base of other fruit trees and I have let the walnut trees grow big enough that they can't simply be pulled up by the roots. I'd just dig the walnut trees up and transplant them but, being so close to the other trees, I'm afraid I'd loose both trees...or at least damage the trees I most care about.

So, I'm wondering if I could kill these walnut trees by removing a circular strip of bark around the circumference of their base then, after they die, cut them down with a saw?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tree ringing to kill encroaching walnut trees?? 
    Yes, you can do that. Just make sure you get ALL of the bark, right down to solid inner wood. And do it as low as you can get. I've dug around the base of a few trees and peeled the bark down below the soil line.

Sue

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Sue.

4. Collapse Details
    apparently walnut timber costs about $2000 per cubic foot, maybe you should let them grow :wink: Or maybe that was native walnut... Not sure. :?

5. Collapse Details
    Wow, $2000 a cubic ft would be nice. :shock:

Also, does anyone know if ringing would kill the suckers coming up from plum trees?

I let my plum suckers grow for privacy screening but now I need the garden space. I'd dig them up but I'm afraid their root systems are too well established to easily do that.

6. Collapse Details
    If you can dig a hole under them, and have access to a heavy vehicle, maybe you could work a chain around them and just pull them out.

Sue

7. Collapse Details

Well, I ringed the walnut tree shortly after starting this thread and it was not phased. I was hoping it wouldn't come back this spring but the thing is budding out again. Looks healthy. I ringed it down to the wood, and the ring was about an inch tall. Any ideas? I can't bear to use a herbicide.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Well, I ringed the walnut tree shortly after starting this thread and it was not phased. I was hoping it wouldn't come back this spring but the thing is budding out again. Looks healthy. I ringed it down to the wood, and the ring was about an inch tall. Any ideas? I can't bear to use a herbicide.
    i know i'll cop some flak for it. but using a drill and injecting the tiniest bit of undiluted herbicide would do the trick. that herbicide would be contained in the tree and when removed would not effect your plums. the downside is that you would actually have to handle the herbicide itself. so even then its risky business, especially considering the viscosity of pure herbicides (hard to pour and handle effectively). then you have the issue of storage, contaminated gloves, and contaminated water after washing of said bottles, gloves, clothes etc...

hmm best off getting out there with a handsaw and cut the buggers out.

9. Collapse Details

How big are the trees? I'd just cut them down and if they regrow, then keep cutting them and find a use for the cuttings. If they're big enough, put deep cuts across the stump.

Will walnuts regrow from a stump anyway?

10. Collapse Details

Thanks, you two.

I could very easily cut these trees down but I assumed they'd just come right back...and keep secreting from their roots what ever walnut trees secrete that is bad for other food crops. Or did I just dream about these walnut secretions?

At any rate, these trees are at most, 2" in diameter and about 10' tall.