Notices

1. Collapse Details
    getting nice chickens in Brisbane 
    There was a thread not - long ago, about trying to get chickens around brisbane, so I thought I'd share the info I've dug up.

We aren't far off finishing our chook yard so have been hunting for some chooks. Having only a suburban yard, and not being able to have alot, we have decided not to just get some standard old battery chooks (Leghorns?).

My wife informed me, that we need to find some "nice fat, happy, chickens". (and not UGLY ones :-) )

A few places I called offered us chooks of one sort or another:
    http://www.rarechooks.com.au/?page=105
    http://www.freewebs.com/cashmerechickens/forsale.htm

There is more info than you would ever want on each chook breed including egg size and colour, number of eggs and pictures and habits at
    http://www.freewebs.com/cashmerechickens/forsale.htm

But we have opted to wait until the "Towoomba poultry actions" (first sunday in may).. I have a catalogue of the chooks for sale if anyone wants it.
    I'll post a photo or two, if we are sucessful in finding our new pet chickens.

PPP

2. Collapse Details
    Re: getting nice chickens in Brisbane 
    ppp,

A couple of pointers. When you buy at auction there is no guarantee of pedigree, which may not be a problem. I have had crossbred bantams etc that are a real treat to own with their hardiness, egglaying and eating ability. Often a good place to source poultry is via breed societies or at the annual show.

If are going to buy at auction take a cage big enough to hold them for 24 hours and make sure that they are 'clean' of parasites. Parasites both internal and external will affect your permie production hugely if you bring home the wrong 'guest'. Check with your vet about what you can expect by way of problems or check the internet chook sites.

Dont get me wrong as I am very much into natural cures/organics but sometimes I hear of ''2 cloves of garlic in their water' and I shudder. Tansy, wormwood, garlic, aloe vera, papaya are all great natural additions to your chook lifecycle but they are about minimising normal parasite loads in healthy poultry. What I am suggesting is if you bring your chooks home free of tapeworm, ticks or stickfast fleas etc, Your chook husbandry knowledge will grow alongside your poultry as you get off to a good start.

Lastly, when you get poultry you will often have someone try to give you a 'spare' rooster or something similar. Be vigilant about introducing any new livestock to your flock that will cause you ongoing issues.

cheers,