Notices

1. Collapse Details
    Dwarf Fruit Trees: The Ins and Outs? 
    Recently I installed a garden into my backyard, which in turn encouraged my friend to have a go at converting his backyard into an edible resource. He only has a small yard and was wanting to put in a variety of fruit and vegetable plants, so as to be as helpful as possible for his family. As he only has a small yard he wants to make the most of dwarf fruit trees. I was hoping to get some info about them, before we track down somewhere to buy and install.

How big do dwarf trees grow?
    Can all varieties of trees be converted to dwarf trees under the right processes?
    Is it possible to convert under amateur guidance?
    Where can you purchase dwarf trees?
    From my understanding they are a combination of dwarf roots and ordinary trunks. Does this mean that they are all hybrid varieties? Can you purchase heirloom and open variety dwarf fruit trees?
    Are there any special care considerations for dwarf trees?
    Will they produce much fruit, or do they just produce a low quantity but normal size?
    Is there any purchase considerations to be aware of?
    Are there any publications providing great information about dwarf trees?

Sorry for loading everyone with questions. If your able to help my friend and I with any of the answers, or signposts to the right direction we would greatly appreciate it.

Waynemus

2. Collapse Details

Can't answer all your questions. But I have "pixzee" peach and "nectazee" nectarine tree (one each) in pots. They're only about 50cm high. Their fruit is supposed to be normal size. The peaches were, the nectarines were small. They put out about 5 fruit each. Not too bad for their first year?

Got them at BigW (in Mac Centre, Ryde), believe it or not.

http://www.flemings.com.au/new/fruit/pages/trixzie.html

3. Collapse Details

waynemus
    dwarf trees came into existence by mistake
    occasionally the scion, the variety pursued, when grafted on to the rootstock (old hardy type with undesired issue), resulted in a dwarfing

not to be deterred and like a good nurseperse, the marketability was then assessed and a market discovered

another angle to pursue is to make the best of your restricted space to grow multi-grafted trees eg jonathon/delicious/granny smith
    same goes for stone fruits

fruit trees can be pruned to a shape and size to suit yourself and your garden...get information on cordons

in planting to win, should you lose an occasional tree, plant more
    cheers

info contained herein may be fictitious!

4. Collapse Details

Waynemus,

Multiple grafting sounds like the way to go if possible. Also look at espaliering the trees and get some use out of the fence line.

floot