Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    too late to transplant fig trees? 
    I heared that trees should be transplanted while dormant. my fig tree has yet very new leaves and I wonder If I can transplant it or if I have to wait until next year. He is not happy where he is with papaya and other things around it.

2. Collapse Details

Fig trees are loners. Your tree is probably giving the pawpaw a bit of biff. But first off, how big is the fig and what sort of fig tree is it? The reason I ask is that if it's a ficus benjamina, for example, and in the vicinity of the house I'd pull it out and move it real quick regardless of season as they grow into monster trees and will damage your building, pipes et al not to mention the insurance issues you'll have if the tree damages other properties.

An example would be this:

Glad I don't have their impending repair bills.

If it's a big tree, then good luck with transplanting it

If it's a small tree, early spring is a good time to transplant. Choose an area that is in the sun most or all of the day and in soil that has good drainage. Prune the tree lightly but don't apply fertiliser. Heavy pruning will compromise the tree (and really piss it off).

Now, may I have a cutting?

3. Collapse Details

Anytime in Brisbane, I would have thought. Whether they are dormant or in full growth, no worries. Figs just want to grow, don't they?
    caretaking 14 acres of ridge and gully land at Huelo, Maui. 400-500 ft above sea level
    wet tropics/subtropics

4. Collapse Details

Fig trees - I would transplant any time. If you like where it is though I would get rid of the papaya first as they are short-lived. I would be reluctant to have a fig in a suburban backyard unless it was a ficus carica which is the meditteranean type eating fig.

On my property I have a 20 year old fig tree, a ficus benjamina that is about 12' tall and has a lovely bushy shape. I commented on its small size one day to the lady who planted it and she replied, ''Oh I didnt ever want it to get big so I planted it still in the pot''.

This tree gets ample water and is in a tropical situation so by rights it should be 20 times its current size but years on it is still dwarfed.

Has anyone seen or tried this?

mike

5. Collapse Details

Very interesting Mike. I haven't tried it yet, but I have the perfect ficus in a pot and a spot just right for a dwarf like that, so cheers!
    caretaking 14 acres of ridge and gully land at Huelo, Maui. 400-500 ft above sea level
    wet tropics/subtropics

6. Collapse Details

I talk about a medierranean tree fig, the fruit- isn't it a fig tree as well??

7. Collapse Details

Yeah, it is.
    wet tropics/subtropics

8. Collapse Details
    Re: too late to transplant fig trees? 
    don't worry, Thanks sharing your knowledge. But i have not tried it, But i know a little informaiton about it. So if it's small tree then the best season is early spring time to transplant.

Regards:
    Hank Freid

9. Collapse Details
    Group for banned users
    north of gympie sunshine coast area.s/e qld
    in brissy anytime hedwig,

but like all fig's be mindfull of planting them near drainage pipes their roots jsut as disasterous as those other figs like in the picture above, can just imagine the damage to foundations and pipes from those trees and near buildings.

when it fruits you will have to net the tree as the birds will beat you every time.

len

10. Collapse Details
    while on the topic of figs - and please forgive me op for interrupting............

I was given a couple of fig trees that came up under existing mature fig trees (eating figs, but unsure which ones..)
    I was told they may not fruit because of this. Is this true? When would they start fruiting if they are going to? I am in the adelaide hills and the trees are 1.5 years and about 8 months.
    I just don't want to waste my space on fig trees that I can't eat the fruit!! :wink:
    thanks for the mini hijack!!