alcohol from honey locust pods 
    accidently discovered the best way to stratify honey locust seeds
    nb. boiling in their pods. or almost boiling

the byproduct is sweet smelling soup can i make alcohol from this brew
    will it make me go blind>?
    i should have 10- 15 tonnes of pods by autumn
    and about the same weight of jerusulem artichokes

2. Collapse Details

Blindness is dependant on temperature of the still and quantity consumed of wash

The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...

Acetone 56.5C (134F)
    Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
    Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
    Ethanol 78C (172F)
    2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
    1-Propanol 97C (207F)
    Water 100C (212F)
    Butanol 116C (241F)
    Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
    Furfural 161C (322F)

Be ruthless about tossing the first 50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol (causer of hangovers - small quantities, or blindness - larger quantities).

3. Collapse Details

Do you have a still?
    It is not rocket science.
    I presume you want to run your internal combustion engines on it?

wiki=
    the honey locust is popular with permaculturalists across the globe, for its multiple uses.
    The legumes make a valuable, high protein cattle fodder, which becomes more readily accessible with the thornless (inermis) variety.
    The broad shade of the tree canopy is of great value for livestock in hotter climates, such as australia.
    It is also claimed to be a nitrogen fixer, by way of rhizobium, which benefits the surrounding soil and plants. The durability and quality of the timber, as well as the ability to produce its own nails, fits the paradigm of self-sustaining agriculture that requires fewer external inputs/resources

PS The plant contains a Trypsin inhibitor
    Trypsin inhibitors are chemicals that reduce the availability of trypsin, an enzyme essential to nutrition of many animals, including humans.
    Last edited by Michaelangelica; 27-11-2011 at 04:35 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    good info! 
    no i dont have a still but would love to be able to run petrol engines etc

or even if it is possible to brew a drinkable concoction from said juice
    thanks

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

If you need a recipe for making a Jerusalem artichoke wine: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request157.asp

I don't know about OZ, but here in the US distilling and jacking is a federal crime, without a license. Even if it is for non human consumption. It is not hard to get a distilling permit for fuel purposes. Jacking is freezing wine to separate the water from the alcohol. Beer is distilled to make whiskey, wine is distilled to make brandy. You do not need a permit in the US to make up to 200 gallons a year for each adult in the house of beer and wine. This can not be sold, you can give it away, share it, or drink it yourself but not sell. The link above has hundreds of recipes for making wine, how to info, yeast info, and pretty much anything you need to know to make quality wines.

7. Collapse Details

Read "The Alaska Bootleggers Bible". It will give recipes for making beer and wine as well as methods for making your own equipment. It has designs for 5 stills, for information only.

8. Collapse Details

R.I.P. Popcorn Sutton, and thank you.

You always have the option of Freeze Distillation.

In order to Legally brew "spirits" here in the US you need to deal with this sour rotting compost:
    Spirits

You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying excise tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.
    Beer can be made but not drunk by a person over 18 years of age, unknown quantity restriction.

Wine, 100 gallons per person, per year, at their residence for personal use.

Changes to the current distillation laws are currently floating around Congress / The Senate.
    If you still have a job, get everything in order, and quit. Do it as soon as you can, because we’ve never had a more important work to do. -Kyle Chamberlin

Permaculture is a concise design of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have diversity, stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.
    -Bill Mollison

It's just my 2 cents,
    Paka no hida

9. Collapse Details

i wanna be like popcorn when i grow up!
    it must be a real skill to get the heat correct with a wood fire and no thermometer

10. Collapse Details

I found this video while attempting to watch another from PRI.

http://youtube/K8aZdAlVuEQ
    If you still have a job, get everything in order, and quit. Do it as soon as you can, because we’ve never had a more important work to do. -Kyle Chamberlin

Permaculture is a concise design of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have diversity, stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.
    -Bill Mollison

It's just my 2 cents,
    Paka no hida