Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    castor oil to repel rodents is it safe for vegetables? 
    Commercial mole and vole repellant - active ingredient is castor oil. It doesn't mention using it on vegetables, but lawns and ornamentals. Is there a problem with using it on vegetables?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by solidlight View Post
    Commercial mole and vole repellant - active ingredient is castor oil. It doesn't mention using it on vegetables, but lawns and ornamentals. Is there a problem with using it on vegetables?
    Not unless they are Russian spys
    "You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. .Most people don't know that" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk
    Music can solve all the world's problems. Not many people know that- MA 2005
    "Politicians will never solve 'The Problem' because they don't realise that they are the problem" R Parsons 2001

3. Collapse Details

Ricinus communis
    Now for the non frivolous reply.
    Reading some of this from "Poisionous Plants" 2 ed by Frohme and Pfander
    Castor Oil seeds contain ''Rictin" which can kill you. You need to chew a seed or two really well and wait up to 2-24-48 hours, somewhere other than a hospital, in agony for it to work. People have survived eating up to 15 seeds if they haven't chewed them and got medical help.

The reference to spies was the supposed assassination by of Bulgarian exile Georgij Markov who may have been killed by an umbrella jab containing as little as 250ug of pure Rictin
    http://articles.cnn.com/2003-01-07/w...ov?_s=PM:WORLD

As Castor oil is used for constipation I doubt if it contains any rictin

About 800,000 tonnes are made a year mostly for technical purposes.(book dated 2004)
    Seeds contain up to 25% protein, so after detoxification by heat, the cake is used as an animal feed and fertilizer. Dogs eating such fertiliser, also containg tasty blood and bone ("Oscorna animalin''), have died.

As well as rictin there may be a component of the seed that can cause an allergic anaphalactic shock. People my get a reaction from handling the cake, or some, while drilling the seeds to make necklaces.

Nearly all herbs produce substances that protect their leaves and especially seeds from animal and insect attack. ( eg cyanide in apple seed-toxic dose c. 5-7,000 seeds-, capsaicin in chilli, steroidal alkaloids in green potato, nicotine in tobacco etc etc) It is thought many medicinal herbs are medicinal because of the "pesticides" they produce we call medicine.
    Ethnobotanical and phytopharmacological notes on Ricinus communis L.
    Makhlouf K., Hamrouni L., Khouja M.L., Hanana M.
    Phytotherapie 2010 (1-3)

Ricinus commmunis, also called Castor bean, is a bush belonging to the family of Euphorbiaceae. It grows in many parts of the world and is mainly present in tropical regions. It is known for its tolerance to unfavourable abiotic conditions as well as its medicinal therapeutic virtues such as the pharmacological activities of the phytochemical compounds founded in the extracts of the plant (flavonoids, alkaloids and tanins). In the same way, the ricinus presents a very toxic compound: the ricine which, associated to monoclonal antibodies, is used in cancer and AIDS therapies. © 2010 Springer Verlag.
    Plant pesticides and repellents (antifeedants/ most 'alkaloids'-- very useful drugs-- are bitter ) are preferable to modern chemicals because they break down. Many modern pesticides don't. Plus they 'bio accumulate' we still don't know the long term health effects of this. We are still dealing with the DDT and similar sprayed by the army in 1945
    Last edited by Michaelangelica; 28-06-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. .Most people don't know that" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk
    "Politicians will never solve 'The Problem' because they don't realise that they are the problem" R Parsons 2001

4. Collapse Details

Greets all,
    Tephrosia (leaves branches)and crotolaria (seeds),
    Both have active ingredients that repel rodents,Tephrosia has rotone as a chop and drop mulch it is excellent,also a nitro fixer,however placed at the edge of an aquatic system it may well kill fish.
    Best wishes fernando

5. Collapse Details

how closely related are purple hull peas too Tephrosia? I see it is v/ bad to plant these around fish habitat and you've got me paranoid that some of my beans may unknowingly add to the already fragile condition of the pond behind the house.
    In the end, we all work for ourselves.

6. Collapse Details

Fascinating! Last year I had lots of little bronze and gold-colored frogs in the garden which are said to eat slugs. I wouldn't want to poison them. Was picking off hundreds of slugs last year, and want to minimize mulch this year because of that. I'm also only going to water once a day instead of twice. I explored the internet about Vetiver, and learned that although it was thought to be a good barrier to rodents, it has been found not to be so. I was trying to avoid using traps that kill the rodents. What about sonic devices? I've used those in my home, but wasn't sure it was much help. So what should I do?
    Last edited by solidlight; 29-06-2011 at 02:18 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Interesting plant/family
    The high brine shrimp toxicity of T. villosa corroborates with literature reports that the plant is toxic to both livestock and fish.
    The results further suggest that T. villosa extracts have potential to yield larvicidal and possibly cytotoxic compounds.
    Tephrosia purpurea whole plant aqueous extract has potent hepatoprotective action against CCl4 induced hepatic damage in rats.
    Ethanol extract of the plant exhibited both in vivo and in vitro antioxidant activity.may have a potential benefit in enhancing the burn wound healing process, possibly due to the free radical scavenging property of the plant
    Tephrosia vogelii is usedin controlling ticks on dairy cows among small-scale dairy farmers in Mashonaland Central Province of Zimbabwe.
    Apolar fractions of Tephrosia purpurea may have therapeutic potential in combating Helicobacter pylori mediated gastroduodenal disorders
    Tephrosia purpurea has potent antihyperglycemic and antioxidant effects
    The aqueous extract of T. purpurea was found to be effective in reducing the formation of and dissolving existing calcium oxalate and magnesium ammonium phosphate kidney stones
    T. purpurea leaves have potent anti-hyperglycemic and anti-lipidperoxidative effects, which are probably due to its anti-oxidant effect
    Tephrosia vogelii,fishing with common in Africa
    Tephrosia purpurea is used in traditional remedies for the treatment of febrile attacks, enlargement and obstruction of liver, spleen, and kidney, was found to have significant antileishmanial activity

8. Collapse Details

A bit overwhelming.
    The Bonide Mole Max, Mole and Vole Repellant: MSDS sheet states: It's 10% Rucinus comminus oil (castor bean oil). Wash skin and clothing after handling. Which I didn't notice on the label. And keep away from children. If ingestion: Call physician and drink 2 glasses of water and induce vomiting. Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. So it degrades pretty fast but I'm going to have to be careful about planting my veggies in this area now - dust mask, gloves, etc. Oh well. Maybe would have been better to set the traps!

9. Collapse Details

What is their predator? Do you want to invite one of those around or would the solution be worse than the problem?

10. Collapse Details